Upgrade question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by nestep, Mar 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello all, I recently got Silver status with United. I'm booking a trip to Maui in May from LAX. What are teh chances I'll be bumped to First Class on this flight? I'm guessing low but I wanted to see what you experts think. Thanks in advance.

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Silver your chances are low, but Hawaii flights are known to be tourist heavy and elite light which ups your odds. So I would say you have a slim chance, and would add flying on an off travel day (such as Tuesday) could probably help a little. On the plus side you likely have a very good shot at E+ at the 24 hour mark, again due to the dearth of elites.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. nestep

nestep Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm flying Weds to Weds so that may help a bit.

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's always a chance, but it is usually remote. Your best bet is to never get your hopes up. That way if it does happen, it's a nice surprise.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would aim to be one of the first to check availability of E+ at T minus 24hr and then hope that they might bump you up to free the E+ seat for a non-premier who might wish to pay for it...:)

Flyer1976, KenInEscazu and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten an occasional upgrade on the LAX-HNL flights I have taken and only as Platinum not Gold. I would expect fewer business travelers on the LAX-OGG route so upgrades are possible but not probable. The advice given above about checking in as close to the 24 hour mark is useful and that is what I would do.

KenInEscazu and downhillcrasher like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other option is to decide how important it is to you. If the level of importance is high, try the KenInEscazu method and dig waaaaay down deeeeep into your pocket and just pay for it. If not so important, try to remember that you made that decision when you don't get the free bump.

I'm on self-imposed financial sequestration this year, so I'm not digging into my pocket much if at all this year. Although I've spent most of my flying time this year at the front of the bus, I still feel like I'm in withdrawals while waiting for the roulette wheel to land on my number. :eek: I'm such a seat snob.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or book full Y, which is an instant upgrade fare for premier members.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or hope for a ToD upgrade to be made available. I notice more of them on tourist type routes.

webdes03 likes this.
  10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ON my last trip to HLN , (767-400) I sat next to a silver who had been upgraded from SFO, so it is definitely possible.
    In regards to buying full Y, if you are thinking of sitting in F for this route (which is absolutely nothing special, BTW), it is probably cheaper to buy P or Z (discounted first) than to buy Y (full fare economy). The discounted first fares do require advanced purchase and are non-refundable (change costs $150) but almost always are significantly cheaper than the Y fare. And you are getting an assured seat in the front of the plane.

But don't do it. It is not worth it, in my opinion. (unless of course you are traveling with the spouse who insists on being in the front of the plane :eek:, but that is another story for another day :p).

webdes03 and 8MiHi like this.
  11. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year, my wife went SFO-OGG in June using my mom's (Silver) miles. She was upgraded both ways on teh award tickets.

8MiHi likes this.