Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dreamworks, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey,

So on Tuesday, I'm flying to SFO from DCA through Charlotte. The UG cleared from DCA to CLT, but not from CLT to SFO. When I checked EF, it looks like there's 1 seat blocked and two open It's US 1485 and I am not sure if they're holidng the seats for paid upgrades. Any ideas? I have an exit row in Y, so I'm not going to be devastated, but I sure would appreciate the bump.

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are likely not holding it for paid upgrades, but rather purchases discounted first. US generally tries to sell first at a reasonable rate (about twice the deep discount coach fare) - which as the flight fills up, is close to the same as a last minute coach ticket. For this particular flight, although the discounted first fares are sold out, there are some very reasonable first class fares still available - MCO-CLT-SFO is only $655 for example

Once you get closer, US will release the seat for upgrades before offering it as a paid upgrade (unlike some of the other airlines do).

3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thank you sir. Do they start throttling the upgrades at Gold, or should I assume a Plat will take the upgrade before me?

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how many people are ahead of you - i've been a chairman on the upgrade list until the day before. If you have an exit row, you have a pretty decent shot. Just take a lok at the other available exit rows seats. Open seats mean a lack of elites. Tuesdays are generally a good day to travel. Are you traveling by yourself or with a companion? If you have a companion, it may be tricky if the system only releases one seat at a time and you get skipped.

In my experience, upgrades on US have been much easier than on other airlines. You can't see the upgrade list on your phone or at the gate on US - but you really don't want to see that you're #30 on a flight with 16 first class seats.