Upgrade Question from No Newbie but Newbie to New UA Site

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by NYCUA1K, Apr 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might have been answered before but I cannot find it anywhere. How does one check for upgrade availability on the new CO dba UA site?:)

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean R space? If so, click "Advanced Search" then scroll down and click on the empty box next to "MileagePlus Upgrade Award".

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you put in your flights, where fare class is take a look (click/hover whichever it is that works) for R inventory. If there is R inventory then you can upgrade.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly it! The "R" space is how it had been referred to. Much appreciated.

OK, now I see how this works. "R space" is the "NC"/"NF" space. I have a trip in early May to MEL:

JFK-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK.

Upgrades for the inbound and outbound p.s. (JFK-LAX) cleared over a month ago and are now shown as United BusinessFirst (R), which would have been NC in PMUA lingo.

The other segments are still waitlisted and the search for R-space returned R0. Am I correct in assuming that this simply means that no seats have yet been released for upgrades?

Looking at the seat map reveals 12C and 3F seats remaining just two weeks before the trip...

The message I get is that the segments are not available for upgrade, which is confusing by itself, if, in fact, the segments will become available for UG when the R-space fills...so the message should say this, no?

5. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is still possible that UA will open more R space sometime before the flight if unsold seats remain. If and when that might happen is anybody's guess.

The "space unavailable" message is just that- space at the moment is unavailable. I guess UA didn't want to confuse people by adding that space might open up later.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess maybe they could just have said something like "you will be waitlisted", rather than the categorical "there are no upgrades available on this flight", while someone like me can see that I have been waitlisted, and that the seat map still shows premium seats that remain unsold

...that is confusing...

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also use the script that I wrote about here which will highlight the award space when you do a revenue search. It basically does the "click" on Fare Class for you and also color-codes the award seats so they are easier to notice at a glance:

[​IMG]

This was required in the site previously but it is now faster and easier IMO to do a regular search and look at the details that are shown.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For an existing reservation on which one is waitlisted, this works faster:

All you do is display the reservation and click the Fare Class link to view cabin availability. This yielded the same result as doing an Advanced Search, which was not necessary in my case since I already had a reservation...

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On existing reservations the site will not show buckets which are empty, so if you are looking for R and you don't see it when reviewing your reservation it isn't there.

I find that logging in to the site, getting to the All Reservations page and then getting to the reservation I'm interested in is slower than just putting in the airports and date on the home page; YMMV.

10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I've found just doing a dummy search is more efficient when looking for R inventory.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMMV, indeed. My business is R & D. I will R this and report, but so far (n=2) it is a distinction without a difference.You are looking at your reservation, you can see what cabins are available right there...provided that the computer is outputting the correct info -- a shaky proposition these days.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My point is that it takes more clicks to get to my reservations than to search a particular flight if I know there is one I want to be looking for. If you're already in the "my reservations" screen then that will be faster than doing the new search, but from when I open the browser window and click on the link to united.com a new search is faster pretty much every time.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No disagreement there. There is more than one way to skin that cat. I happen to think that "searching" to make a reservation and going straight to one that already exists would favor the latter, speed-wise. I do not need to remember dates, times, etc... It just go there and look, but definitely, YMMV.