Upgrade purchase opportunity?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am flying ORD FRA in a couple of weeks in Biz. Noticed that experflyer still shows 7 of 8 free seats in F. not that its an accurate indication, but I'm curious. When I check in for my flight, assuming 7 seats are still free in F (unlikely but you never know), is there an opportunity to purchase an upgrade at check in similar to the upgrades offered at kiosks when checking in on UA or CO domestic flights? It seems everytime I'm on LH, F is full, but wonder if that will be the case this time. I realize that HON's may sneak in at the last minute, but I can still hope.

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a few North America outstations, I have noticed LH selling upgrades for cash to C from Y. I have not observed this C to F- with the exception of a very few times in Miami and some Asian departure points- however it probably doesn't hurt to ask? You can definitely upgrade with Miles&More miles if you have them- a kiosk will also proactively prompt if there is enough space- alternatively ask at checkin- make sure you have your PIN number ready as they will ask you for "2 random digits" of your pin. IIRC it is 55000 miles to upgrade from C to F the ORD/FRA leg- also if it is still a couple of weeks out inventory could change significantly in F. If you have a printed United SWU and have purchased a J/C/D fare, you can waitlist for upgrade at the gate.