Upgrade Priority

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Seacarl, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a definitive posting on the priority for Upgrades?

For example, as a Gold who bought full fare Y fairly late, how does that rank among 75Ks, and those who bought lower fares earlier?

By way of comparison, I believe that on CO, everyone (or at least every elite) on full Y will be upgraded (by elite level, then purchase date) before any lower fare categories are upgraded. Then I believe top Platinums go by fare category (and purchase date within fare category). Then regular Platinums, then Golds, then Silvers.

And I believe on CO for standby processing on day of departure, all the Y's go first again, by elite level, then time of check-in, following by top Platinums by fare category and time of check-in as tie breaker, then regular Platinums.

I have never seen how Alaska does it. Someone once told me that it is just date of ticket purchase, but that doesn't seem right as it would prioritize holders of cheap tickets. How about for day of departure, is fare category, or elite status, or time of check-in the key to prioritization?

2. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Carl, for the sake of stimulating discussion, I think the upgrade process (at the appropriate windows) is based as follows:

1. MVPG75Ks, based on when the ticket was purchased
    2. MVPGs, based on when the ticket was purchased
    3. MVPs, based on when the ticket was purchased

I'll not address whether or not it's the "best" system, but it's my understanding on "how it works" right now.

I am ready and willing to be corrected by those who might know more. :D

3. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    To my knowledge, dgreen12 is correct. We should be happy with this system as we MPers presumably are on cheap fares which on many airlines are last in line to get upgrades.

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on my understanding the auto upgrade process is:

1) MVPG75K on instant upgrade fare [Value fare and higher] ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    2) MVPG on instant upgrade fare [Value fare and higher] ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    3) MVP on instant upgrade fare [Full Flex fare and higher] ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    4) MVPG75K at T-120 hours ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    5) MVPG at T-72 hours ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    6) MVP at T-48 hours ordered based on when ticket was purchased
    7) Delta Medallions and buy ups at OLCI

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-and-benefits/complimentary-upgrades.aspx#mvp