Upgrade "Pending" inside Window

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Scott Schmidt, Dec 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have two flights coming up on Monday on PMUA Skywest. One UDU cleared at the 100-hour window, as normal. The second segment, however, still says "Pending"...whereas normally it would either change to "Waitlisted" or cleared. The trip is entirely on PMUA Skywest metal on PMUA stock, so it doesn't seem like an integration issue. If anyone has seen this before, do you have any tips on how to resolve it other than patience?

2. yonajon
    Original Member

yonajon Active Member

Status Points:
    AZjohn likes this.
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    First of all, I would like to give my condolences :eek:

Second, I thought flights outside of UG window first say "waitlisted" and then change to "pending" which is a good thing (like the UG is in process)?

Would like to learn more as this unfolds.
    Cheers,
    John

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether you get "pending" or "waitlisted" depends on the type of upgrade:

• If you are depending solely on UDU, then you will get "pending" from booking until it is "confirmed" (if not confirmed then you go onto departure management[ [DM] list).
    • If you request an upgrade using an upgrade instrument (i.e., SWU or CR1 or miles) and it does not clear instantly then you will be "waitlisted" until "comfirmed" (if not confirmed then you go onto DM list).
    So, the OP's second UG is "pending" because s/he is at the mercy of UDU. Use an upgrade instrument to try to secure the UG and the status will then be shown as "waitlisted" rather than "pending"...

Scott Schmidt likes this.
  5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade Pending = There are other people more important and more deserving than you.

No soup for you!

6. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for explaining! I believe this is a recent change, as before, they'd go to "waitlisted" once the 100-hour window opened up... Good thing for Milepoint to explain these changes (like them or not!)

And, FWIW, the UG cleared at the gate. Yay!

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm inside the UDU upgrade window for a flight Thursday and my reservation shows Waitlisted. My return flight still shows Pending, as I haven't yet hit the 1P upgrade window.

[​IMG]

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with gobluetwo. Usually I switch to Waitlisted at some point after the window opens.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question of "pending" vs "waitlisted" did come up at the "other site" and the explanation that I provided seemed to be the consensus, after folks went back and checked their past history. In my case, UDU has never shown up as "waitlisted" and a UG requested using one of the available instruments has never shown up as "pending", so I bought on the explanation. It may be time to get to the bottom of this by starting a thread where folks report instances of "pending" vs "waitlisted" in conjunction with UGs to establish when they are used. I still suspect that the intent is for "pending" to be used with UDU and "waitlisted" with everything else, so that your case may be the exception that affirms the rule...;)

10. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do wonder if the fact that scottrick had 2 segments (connection?) on the same day had anything to do with it. In any case, I recall that it's always said waitlisted when I enter the upgrade window. Only a bunch of geeks would really care about this... *raises hand sheepishly*

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. Aren't all the folks in here?:D

gobluetwo likes this.
  12. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, this has not been my experience.
    In my experience "Pending" has become "Waitlisted" at about 100 hours prior to travel for a 1K.
    When I have been "Pending" I have seen the flight be NF1 (or NC1 on three-class equipment) and have not been upgraded.
    When I have been waitlisted I have never seen the flight be anything but NF0 (or NC0 on three-class equipment). As soon as NF space opened up while I was waitlisted my upgrade was confirmed.
    When I book travel within the 100-hour window on a flight that's > NF0, I am immediately confirmed into F; when I book travel within the 100-hour window on a flight that's NF0, I am immediately waitlisted and get an F seat as soon as NF is released -- but I am behind other 1Ks with the same fare class on the waitlist because I was added to the waitlist later.

13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time I have seen a flight not show as Upgrade: Waitlisted is either if the flight is CO-coded or if your CO OP # is in the reservation. For whatever reason, CO codes in either spot means Upgrade: Waitlisted won't appear.

The only other thing I believe that might cause this is it's a UA Express flight out of EWR. There were some issues with those flights and CO but I'm not 100% clear what the problem is.

-RM

14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incorrect. An upgrade will always switch to waitlisted if it does not clear at the opening of the UDU window. If using an instrument, it will remain as waitlisted until NC or NF space opens up.

The only time a res is pending is prior to the opening of the UDU window.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    'Hmm' is right because the reason this thread started was that the OP had a different experience than yours...clearly not "always"...

Caveat Emptor: I travel mostly internationally so that my encounters with UDU have been limited, since I usually put down an SWU that also covers the domestic segments, and UGs for such trips are always "waitlisted" for all segments that do not clear at booking; they have never appeared as "pending". This has also been true on domestic flights for which I have requested UGs with a CR1 -- "waitlisted" at booking until it is "confirmed" or I find myself on the DM list at the airport. On the other hand, on the few times that I have left myself at the mercy of UDU (on short domestic trips like LGA-ORD), the status has always been "pending". The question is, what happens within the 100 hr when on UDU? I have never seen it change to "waitlisted" from "pending", but that could simply be that with my limited encounters with UDU and being a 1K, my UDUs have always cleared before the 100th hour, or the status did change to "waitlisted" but I just did not notice. It is possible. But in the early days of UDU, the question did come up at the "other site" and most people's experience was the same as the OP's. With the merger and all, things might have evolved but "pending" is a term that is associated with UDU.

16. HansPeter

HansPeter Active Member

Status Points:
    And if you do clear at the gate, is it under a UDU or under the requested instrument? If priority is the same, are you "wasting" a CR1 if your upgrade doesn't clear until you get to the gate?