Upgrade Pace for 1Ks

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adexpert, Jun 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, at the risk of starting a "I didn't get my upgrade" or some sort of entitlement thread, I'm curious...

This calendar year (perhaps since 3/3?) I've noticed a precipitous drop in domestic (UDU) upgrades. I'm frequently getting to the airport and finding myself minimum 5 - 20 positions down the list with no seats available.

Right now I'm batting 10/18 (56%; been spending alot of time on RJs) and those 18 are on the same general route pairs I've been flying for the past few years as an ORD based 1K. For comparison, last year I was upgraded 49/65 (75%) domestically and 36/42 (86%) the year before. Some tickets get booked in cheaper buckets, others are booked close in. Many of the misses are on routes/flights I have never missed in dozens of trips.

I'm curious if this is something others in my general UA-demographic are seeing? I realize my sample so far is small but it has been enough that I'm noticing it.

2. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Speaking personally only, this isn't what I've been seeing. In 2012, excluding non-upgradeable RJs, I'm 18/20 on upgrades. What I've noticed is that there seems to be a correlation between how far advance I purchase the ticket and whether I'm upgraded, and if upgraded, how early. Both my non-upgrades were on very close-in tickets. On tickets purchased less than two weeks out, I seem to have to wait until the day or departure or to be upgraded at the gate. More than two weeks out, I seem to be clearing early.

I don't know why some people are having such different experiences than others.

3. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    1K with 100 % on tickets bought way ahead of time, including GPUs.(which have been clearing at the gate), mostly using DCA.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. rizwank

rizwank Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be that the instruments are pushing you down; since instruments take priority now?
    Or that your fare class tends to be cheaper than others; which pushes you down?

I just hit Plat; and I did notice that I moved up about 2/3rds of the list when I went from Silver to Gold. Interesting to see what happens on Thursday when I return home.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fare class should help on close in ticket purchases. I wonder whether the upsgade program is giving more weight than it should to ticket purchase time or something highly correlated with it such as time of upgrade request.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at 100% success rate since March 3 on CPUs and instrument based upgrades. I do think I am an outlier though on this point. Beginning to think I am a NW PE again. ;)

TravelerRob likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing very well with upgrades when I travel alone and generally get my notification four or three days out. When I fly with a companion, we have to wait until the gate, but it still happens.

8. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    on off-peak flights, early bookings, I'm doing pretty well.

Gtitan likes this.
  9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    31/35 = 89% success rate.

13/16 post 3/3 = 82% success rate.

Most of my pre-3/3 upgrades were instrument supported, however.

About same as last year.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% GPU clearance so far, except that my SFO-PEK next Saturday does not look like it will clear. Before that, I am off to ORD and, while the inventory shows R3/RN3, I called 1K desk and was told that even though I am already within the CPU window, the available Rs are only for those who put down upgrade instruments. I have RPUs that I can put down, but with such a short trip, I do not feel that it is worth it... I do not mind not clearing RPUs for trips under 3hr since it always seems that we are landing every time I open my eyes after closing them for a nap at departure...

100% GPU clearance, a record that might fall in 1 week. Flight shows just 3 C seats and 1 F seat still available...

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    75% on UDUs, excluding SWUs, CR1s, and RJs without F.

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't keep score, but this year seems about the same as last with around 70k all-domestic EQM down so far.

Misses tend to be IAD transcons or Mon AM/Thurs PM hub-to-hub. Mid-cons and mid-week or Saturday flights all seem to have cleared.

Was 2/2 today. :D

13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    My signature says it all in terms of upgrades.

I have noticed a lot more upgrades clearing after the 96 hour mark now. Most come at the 48 hour mark I would say. Some still at 96, some at 24 and some only at the gate.

The only upgrade I've missed this year on UA (and CO) is an SFO-LAS after I took a bump off an ealier flight. I was #1 on the list (1K on a "Y" fare) and I still missed it even though there were three seats open. I'm calling shenanigans on that one but for such a short flight I really didn't mind. I was leaving SFO $400 UA dollars richer :)

-RM

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

This morning I got this email:
    which I did not read carefully and thought, with satisfaction, that it was the outbound (SFO-PEK) that was upgraded, until I went to select a seat and I found out that it was the inbound segment (PEK-SFO) that had just been upgraded, with the outbound now shown as 'waitlisted'. The worst that can now happen is that the outbound SFO-PEK segment will not be upgraded but there is a bright side:
    • This is a 4 segment flight, including 2 p.s., and 3 segments have already been upgraded without reaching the DM list.
    • If the SFO-PEK upgrade does not clear, I get to claim the GPU back because it would be a failure to upgrade to BusinessFirst.
    • It will be the first segment in 5 GPUs to fail to upgrade.
    Also, I can confirm that every time an upgrade clears, at least one to BusinessFirst, a flag is set that forces the passenger to call UA to clear it. Can't select a seat until you call UA to clear the flag because it now considers an upgrade that clears a "schedule change" (!).

15. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In terms of CPUs only -- 12/14. 86%.

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN-SAN flight later this week, within the CPU window, website shows F9, empty seat map on an A320, and my upgrade has not cleared. Nice.

17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am 1K and flying out of or into YVR to ORD or SFO or DEN or IAH have had 100% luck. Was number 4 on the UG, list I noticed this as I boarded the aircraft, for a flight from ORD to IAH. There were 3 UG that got it ahead of me, and I believe that one of them was with his wife and of course when he was upgraded she was also, these upgrades were all done after everyone was seated, as for other UG domestically have never missed one.