Upgrade or Wait for EUA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BurBunny, Jun 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a MR coming on July 4 on CO. Some of the flights, such as the red-eye from LAS-IAH, I have pretty good hopes of clearing on EUA as a matched Gold (1P). Others, such as the afternoon/evening EWR-IAH-SFO "leg" less so, and finally legs where it won't kill me if it doesn't (IAH-EWR morning flight).

Since the EWR-IAH-SFO segments are booked in G, I'm debating whether I should pull the upgrade trigger and pay 15K miles today or tomorrow rather than risk it (and potentially have to pay 20K with the new points system after the 15th if F looks to be filling up).

I understand that the EWR-IAH and IAH segments are often tough upgrades on weekdays, and I fear they may be lateish in the day on a Monday holiday as well. However, I have no experience with EUA on Continental, and no comparable chart to the UDU success/failure database which has been maintained over the past year that I can find.

I would appreciate any insight and input.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with the mileage upgrade today on those EWR-IAH-SFO especially on a "G".

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Is there confirmed upgrade space available now?

While EWR-IAH-SFO isn't going to be an easy upgrade, it's easier than EWR-SFO, and I would certainly expect July 4 to clear more often than not -- at least for a Platinum. As a Gold I'd never count on it and it I felt the upgrade was important I would confirm it, except maybe Saturday afternoons, Wednesday midday, and over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My opinion has always been if you absolutely want the upgrade, use the miles. Given the increase to 20k each way tomorrow, if I was in BurBunny's shoes I'd use the miles today....

5. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is space available, else I'd not be asking :) All the segments of the run are wide open in F right now, though the IAH-SFO is the most limited with F booked 8 of 16. None of the other segments even have 2 F seats booked, and even row 7/exit rows are almost completely open. The other upgradable segments all are maxed out at 9 available, IAH-SFO currently showing 4 available for upgrade.

If it were a "normal" transcon flight, it wouldn't be terribly important to me with the flights being this open. But on a 36-hour MR from start to finish, a little bit of guaranteed comfort becomes more important, especially if I don't make the bump to F on the red-eye or IAH-EWR. I'd also normally wait a bit longer, but the 5K jump in the cost for a G fare is putting some pressure on.

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's why I'd do the mileage upgrade.

I have a DEN flight next Tuesday and I should get the upgrade EWR-DEN but I have to be honest if I could get the 15k award right now I would have redeemed it -- but it's listed as only waitlist. :(
    (on a L fare both ways as a plat).

The way back I'm on a 753 on a DEN-EWR redeye and it's empty in F, that one I'll just wait for anyhow.

I have to admit, I didn't pay attention to those charts specifically changing the domestic upgrade to 20k each way :(

7. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's one good thing about having to learn a new system, at least for me. Because I'm starting from scratchin understanding the CO system, I've been reading everything I can, and exploring around the website. When I came across a reminder about the June 15 changes (and who knows what else is going to happen on Wednesday - I've had a couple staff agree when I asked if it was essentially "Customer Day 2"), I started looking further.

Sometimes being a newbie is good if it means you don't have your normal modus operandi to overcome.

gleff and mht_flyer like this.