Upgrade or no?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Mar 8, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying to LHR on Thursday and am waitlisted for an upgrade. I wait listed last Thursday within 3 minutes of the departure time, so as soon as I could get on the list.

Looking at the J availability, there's just 1 seat available for purchase, but looking at the seat map all the seats seem to be taken.

So, question time: where is the 1 seat that seems to be for sale? And will this one be made available for some lucky person (maybe me?) to upgrade?

milchap likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly blocked on the seat map for a special needs passenger? Or AC is willing to oversell the top cabin, though that seems less likely.

Assuming the former and that it does not sell then I expect it will become available to an upgrade at some point.

YULtide and milchap like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wondered about the last one being blocked for a crew rest seat, but they'd be willing to sell it for $7,000 and have the crew rest somewhere else.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines rarely sell out a crew rest seat on account of union contracts and/or regulatory requirements. What's the aircraft type? Does it have overhead crew bunks?

mevlannen likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    777. It seems moot now. J shows sold out. Popular flight! Only 1 Y seat left.

So, no upgrade unless there's a noshow.

mevlannen likes this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, I promise you that I won't be on that plane, so there's your seat.

Good luck!

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Biting my nails in the YVR international lounge.

mevlannen likes this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, YULtide, right now only you know whether you made that upgrade seat or not. In best Schrödingerian fashion I wish that you shall have received your upgrade (even though it's in your past, knowledge of the outcome is still in my future).

Counsellor and YULtide like this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. No joy I'm afraid. Still not a bad flight. The LHR arrivals lounge compensates.

10. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the the things you have to watch for on a 777 flight is to see which version is scheduled that day. With the new seat plan there are two less J seats than the old version. I was recently able to get on a "sold out" HKG/YYZ flight because the equipment was changed to the old config at flight time. That created two more seats and I was able to call in and get one of them. I was on a paid "D" ticket and availability was zero.......until I called and told the concierge about the equipment change right at departure time from YYZ.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Londoncalling -- excellent play on your part. By now, you must have fine-tuned the process of motivating the concierges to act upon your good behalf.

YULtide likes this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same old story. Yesterday there were 8 seats available on YVR-SYD, two hours ago there were 3, now 2. Flight boards in 90 minutes. Looks like no upgrade tonight.

13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the upgrade this time. One last seat left. It had a non-functional tray table, but I managed around that and had a decent night's sleep.

Counsellor and mevlannen like this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    So very glad for you, YULtide. Doing the YVR>SYD turn in the back cabin would have been so very nasty, nigh on unthinkable.

I suppose that the rear-cabin nastiness is deliberately-calibrated, as part of revenue management. Gahh....

YULtide likes this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The YVR-SYD flights are now using the reconfigured 777s with a Premium Economy cabin and smaller J. That's part of why the upgrade was so tense. When I booked the flight the outgoing leg was still on the old configuration, so no Premium Economy, tho' it was offered for the return, and I took it. Nicer than the back, but not J.