Upgrade on US Air metal - ExecPlat passenger

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by GCarvalho, Feb 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. GCarvalho

GCarvalho Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone has had the experience of being upgraded on a domestic USAir flight after the merger? What's the process? As an ExecPlat, do I get any priority as on AA?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. GCarvalho

GCarvalho Active Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the ticket was purchased and issued by USAir.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As long as you're on US flight numbers, the upgrade process is pretty easy. You can't get an upgrade until your check-in window opens, but then, you can grab a seat if it's still available. I've had pretty good luck with this, scoring upgrades on over half my US flights. If there's nothing available then, you can hop on the standby list once you get to the airport, so you should go to the ticket counter to do it (not happening automatically, need to add you manually).

For codeshares, upgrades are a mess. Can't really upgrade ahead of time, need to do it at the airport.

Does that answer your question?

4. VNAFlyer

VNAFlyer Member

Status Points:
    FYI - When you do receive the upgrade, you'll see the F seats available on the seat map for selection, listed as a cost of $0.

With US I've gotten into the habit of checking in right at T-24. I believe waitlist priority within tiers is based on check-in time...?

jetsetr and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Technically, check-in time isn't supposed to matter. However, once the T-24 window opens, it's first come, first served. So, hitting the T-24 mark is once again important.

jetsetr, jbcarioca and Counsellor like this.
  6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown USAir domestically as part of OW international itineraries and upgrades were at the gate or in the AAdmirals club after check in. I've generally had to check in with an agent (Visas, system glitches, whatever - OLCI no workie) and they mentioned adding me to the list each time.

flyforawg likes this.
  7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 3/4 so far on US metal - as AA PLT! All 4 segments were booked as AA codeshare, and in 3 cleared cases I was able to select a seat in F for $0. Sweet!

jetsetr likes this.
  8. GCarvalho

GCarvalho Active Member

Status Points:
    Quick update on the topic. Got 3/4 upgrades. Funny thing is, you can get the upgrade for $0, but some coach seats cost $25. Makes no sense whatsoever. Go figure.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am 4 out of 7. Did not get upgraded on either segment yesterday OAK-PHX or PHX-LAX, though I was #1 on the upgrade list for both as AA PLT. I have been upgraded on two mainline and two US Express/Mesa flights in the past (prior to the Mesa flights becoming Eagle). The process is easy enough but the US website and app are both fairly miserable. Also we had an hour ground delay after landing at LAX waiting for a gate at T6 to come available, which one of the FAs said had become pretty common since moving to T6. :eek:

flyforawg likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    US has really tried to monetize those "not much better" coach seats. I don't have a big issue with it, especially because of how high my upgrade percentage has historically been. But, I guess I might start to care more if I have to start sitting in the back more often.

11. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't understand their pricing structure... I am admittedly spoiled by free access to MCE on AA but $26 for everything forward of the wings when all you're getting is a hair closer to the exit and a slightly quieter ride vis-a-vis aft of the engines...? Especially for all those middle seats... I don't get it. Last time I saw prices for MCE on AA there was a price break between the middle and the aisle/window.

legalalien likes this.