Upgrade on UA912 HNL-LAX-JFK: Same Flight #, Two Segments with Plane Change

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ran into this weird situation. I booked a flight from HNL to JFK but the reservation simply showed HNL-JFK with a 'plane change in LAX'. After requesting upgrades with a RPU and being waitlisted, I went to select the seats. I selected the seat for the HNL-LAX segment in E+ just fine and then proceeded to select a seat for the LAX-JFK segment, a p.s. flight that showed both premium cabins open. Just for the heck of it, I selected seat 9D in C and I got a message that I was about to select an exit row seat and I needed to agree to blah,blah,blah. I clicked 'OK' and the seat was shown as assigned to me. A few days later, I went to check the seat map on the p.s, and it no longer showed the seat that I had selected as assigned to me. I reselected the same C seat several times but each time the assignment disappeared when I logged out and then back in. So I call CSR, who explained that the LAX-JFK segment could not be upgraded independently of the HNL-LAX segment because it was the same flight number!

This is weird in several respects: As you can see below, while both planes are 757-200s, the configurations are completely different, so that it is not like I would be in the same seat from HNL through LAX to JFK.
    UA912.png
    We would have to change planes to get on the p.s., meaning that there is no reason to tie the upgrade of the first segment to that of the second. Right? Also, I presume that quite a few people will get off and/or on in LAX, so why assign the same flight number to two different beasts?

Does anyone know how the upgrade would work in this case? Would I be upgraded only if I can be confirmed all the way to JFK? It is likely that the upgrade for the LAX-JFK segment will be begin to process only when check-in for the HNL-LAX segment opens on the departure day...

Really weird...at least to me...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call back and ask the Agent to split the one stop flight into two separate segments so you don't get screwed out of your upgrades respectively, they may charge you an additional $2.50 for PFCs but other than that it's not a hard split for them to do.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought about and had, in fact, requested that the flight be split, but was told that they could not split the UA912 because the flight number was the same for both segments (I need to call back a double check that this is true), The CSR then looked at the next p.s. and said that I would have to wait until the next day in LAX (UA912 is a 'red eye'). I declined thinking that it might be better to take my chance on the original reservation.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They absolutely can and the reason you want them to is because they are the same number all the way through. You'll have to play roulette with the agents but they can definitely do it.

NYCUA1K and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the things I really dislike about UA. Not only do these flights reduce the mileage we earn, but this creates the problem the OP notes. I have no issue when indeed it is the same plane making an en route stop, but when it's a complete change of plane and often gauge then it is more deceptive than codesharing!

adambadam, NYCUA1K and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called UA CSR again, and again they gave me the same story about the segments not being splittable. But I was better prepared this time. As soon as she said that it was the same flight number and same metal (757-200), I asked her to take a look at the seat maps and configurations of the two planes. That is all she needed to see to agree to split the reservation. As soon as she did the splitting, the upgrade for the HNL-LAX segment cleared! I am now shown as waitlisted for the LAX-JFK segment, which I have no doubt will clear.

This is a November trip for which the JFK-SFO-HNL upgrades cleared weeks ago. Now I just need to have the UG for the inbound p.s. clear and I will be all set:cool:

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Extra! Extra! Read All About It! UA Invents Time Travel!

As I routinely do for upcoming trips, I just checked this reservation for my November trip to HNL in which things were so royally screwed up from the get-go, and saw a notice in red to the effect that my reservation had changed and that if this resulted in connection times that were too tight, UA would make the necessary changes pro bono. I then searched for the change(s) that had occurred and saw that the metal for HNL-LAX had been changed from a 757-200 to 757-300. So, I thought that they had finally found out what I had accidentally discovered, namely, that although both the HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK segments used 757-200 metals, the configurations of the two planes were so completely different that there was no reason to assign the two segments the same flight # (this had made it impossible for me to upgrade the segments separately until they unlinked them at my request). The second thing I noticed was, in fact, that the flight #'s for the two segments were now different. Since I was still confirmed in R for both segments, everything looked swell...that is, until I checked the connection time in the new reservation:
    UA-INVENTS TIME-TRAVEL.png
    As you can see above, the HNL-LAX flight arrives in LAX at 8:59 pm on Nov 18, but then it departs for JFK at 1:35 pm on Nov 18, i.e., more than 7 hours earlier, before I had even left HNL!!!

I called in to try to fix this but there were no more flights out of LAX to JFK that night, which is strange because there used be a "red eye" p.s. that I have taken before. So, the CSR started over and looked for HNL-JFK flights that would also keep me confirmed in R. Fortunately, she found one through SFO that had an acceptable connection time.

It really pays to look carefully at notices of reservation change if they are not simply due to a seat upgrade...

*post edited to correct many typos and such

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "I'll be happy to hold while you get a supervisor on the line to put back the originally booked flight times with the upgrade intact."

I do not beieve for even a moment that UA actually no longer has a LAX-JFK redeye. Unless it was actually sold out in biz it shouldn't be a problem.

9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem to be confused about this for a 1k :)

UA always had this issue if you booked one through flight, both segments had to have upgrade availability in order for your upgrade to clear until you got to the gate. That was true pre-merger as well. It's best to avoid booking that way.

If you are going through SFO, I hope you are on the 777 to SFO, connecting to one of the red-eye PS flights. And thank the overlords that you didn't end up on the 753.

-David

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this quote referring to a post that has been deleted?

If UA no longer offers this redeye, then my reservation was wrong from the get-go because the LAX-JFK flight that I had been booked on until they changed it as described above was a redye.

A non sequitur, as this has nothing to do with being a 1K. If one (1K or otherwise) has never experienced this situation, they would have no way of knowing, and I never experienced it pre-merger.

None of the above. The HNL-SFO metal this time around will also be a 2-cabin 757-200 like for my original flight, connecting to a redeye p.s, a 3-cabin 757-200. However, the flight numbers for the two segments are different this time.

What happened here originally seems like a screw up all the way. Period.

11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, he is telling you what to tell to the agent on the phone. Say it verbatim to the phone agent.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expert Flyer disagrees. There isn't an LAX-JFK redeye that day. There are 2 LAX-EWR choices though. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being Thanksgiving week? The flight is there every other weekend in November.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see. The trouble is that while on the phone with the agent, I did do my own search and could not find a redeye p.s. for that night, so it would have been counterproductive...
    That is precisely what the CSR had come up with. There were flights to EWR but not to JFK; not exactly p.s., so I asked her to restart the search, which is when she found HNL-SFO-JFK with a 2hr:30min connection in SFO, which is tolerable.

It could indeed be the result of heavy Thanksgiving week traffic...

snod08 likes this.