Upgrade on Mileage Ticket Help Please

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Feb 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Mrs. Flyer is flying YUL-DEN-KOA using a standard award ticket (40K miles one way).
    2. She is a United Credit Card Holder
    3. She used her own miles for the award.
    4. She is 1K
    When we first made the reservation, all her flights showed the CPU eligible / requested banner. Now, ~ 4 day before her flight, the banner has disappeared. I called United and was eventually told that she is on some sort of"back office list" and I was assured she was in the queue.

This goes against all of my experience on past award bookings. The banner was always there until flight time whether we were upgraded or not.

Any suggestions? Confirmations? Help? How can I be assured she is on the U/G list?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This process has been IRROPS from day one. She probably is on the back-office double secret probation upgrade list, but continue to force it. I have gotten good help on this process from the agents in the UC.

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG] I'll put Niedermeyer on it. He's a sneaky little sh....!

Flyer1976 and 8MiHi like this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I tried the UC at LAX once. The agent didn't even know what an RPU was....honestly. these people need to log on to this site and learn the rules. Should be required training, but as far as I can tell, they receive very little especially when it comes to FF benefits.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The agents in the UCs in HNL and SFO got us the CPUs we were eligible for when the desk agents and the GAs were unable to. The front desk at EWR was up to speed.

avflyer and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, not flying through an A/P with a UC until these flight actually take off...trying again with 1K reservations.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try the special 1K line. It goes right to Dean Wormer, Oh wait, that's for Delta...

avflyer likes this.
  8. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the line with 1k reservations right now. Telling me that I have to use the UA credit card to pay my fees in order to be eligible. I see in nothing on the website that says this.

theBOAT likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that's the published rule for the free bags with the card. Dunno about the upgrades.

I do know that, as suggested above, this is the absolutely worst implemented benefit of any I've seen UA try to make work.

8MiHi, avflyer and theBOAT like this.
  10. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is not my experience. Have been upgraded multiple times in the past year on saver mileage tix where I paid the taxes / fees with my UA Select card (upgrades on award tix are not a benefit) but my UA Club card is linked to my MP number. Come to think of it, I've never put UA spend on my Club card...

As always with these things, I guess YMMV...

-theBOAT

8MiHi and avflyer like this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing on this page of the website...https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/mileageplus/premier/upgrades.aspx

No agent has yet to be able to answer the simple question "If this is the case, please show me where it is enunciated?" They cannot show me anywhere in their T&Cs that using the CC to pay the fees is a requirement.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is definitely my experience as well. Once I used MY miles to fly Mrs. Flyer and complained that she didn't get the UG...got slapped down on that one.

13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, instead of helping me, they have spent a half hour looking for a requirement (you must use the Credit Card to pay the fees) that does not exist. They may be flyer friendly but they aren't pre-flight friendly at all.

8MiHi, traveltoomuch and snod08 like this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newest theory from the 1k desk. We must go to the airport and present our credit card in order to be placed in the queue.

snod08 and 8MiHi like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ONE and only time I have gotten the upgrade to work -- and completely automatically without me calling anyone, showing anything to anyone and arguing about it -- was when I bought a ticket with my miles for my brother-in-law, and I am 100% certain I paid the tax with my old UA Chase Select VISA. Which isn't on that list on the website.

traveltoomuch and avflyer like this.
  16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, your BIL was not eligible. T&C clearly state it has to be the primary cardholder. YAYYYY UNITED!!

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. I shall be contacting 1kVoice immediately and request unwarranted-upgrade-compensation. :D

So I guess I should edit my statement above where I said it was the one and only time I got the upgrade to work. It still didn't work.

avflyer likes this.
  18. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    While you are at it, please tell them about the time I got upgraded and accumulated miles on a mileage ticket shortly after the UA /CO merger. I feel so awful......

snod08 likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, fortunately this "benefit" will all be moot for me come May when I cancel that fine card.

avflyer likes this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well over a year ago the HNL UC agent indicated that the computer system was simply unable to handle this in advance but that the system upgrade was coming. He also indicated that there was a work-around that the agents at the airport could manage. I think it's time to consider a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part to fix this.

avflyer likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have an email from 1Kvoice somewhere acknowledging the problem and telling me about a software update that would fix it. Scheduled to be applied in January. Of 2013.

avflyer, snod08 and 8MiHi like this.
  22. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously on Bluto's Schedule: Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the f..ing Peace Corps

8MiHi likes this.