Upgrade on Award Travel with Credit Card?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holders of Chase/United co-branded credit cards qualify for space-available upgrades when traveling on coach awards in North America. Is there something similar (say via Citi) for AA customers or at least EXPs?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not really. You can hope for a LFBU (load factor based upgrade), which would be an offer to move from economy to the next cabin for a cash fee if space is available after all upgrades can be accomodated. This isn't tied to a credit card though and is offered to anyone on the flight checking in through the web or a kiosk at the airport.

Explore likes this.
  3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the upside on AA is the free sandwich and drink that EXPs get in economy, something that United doesn't provide for 1Ks (unless you have a drink coupon).

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I guess it depends on who you are and where you stand on some issues. The fact that AA has resisted the UDU structure used by UA and DL and various other gimmicks to allow individuals to upgrade into F/J cabins so easily is also an upside to me and I suspect a few other AA elites. ;)

DCtrAAveler and newbluesea like this.