Upgrade offer after purchase

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that after completing your purchase on United.com, it will on occasion offer you an upgrade for $xxx (xxx being dependent on the length of the flight).

My question is if you decide to go for the upgrade, are you booked into C/F and as such get the 150% EQM and 125%/150% RDM bonuses associated with the C/F buckets?

jmrich1432 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe those come out of the upgrade inventory which means you'll get miles for your original fare class booked.

3. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    These offers will cause your class of service to change to Z (for business) or A (for first.) You *will* get the additional RDMs and EQMs as well as all other benefits. Also, because you will technically fly on a premium fare, you will be less likely to run into issues/downgrades in case of equipment swaps, misconnections, etc.--the system will rebook you into a premium cabin.

Some offers are good, some are pretty weak--like $175 for SEA/SFO where they don't serve any food whatsoever.

Edited to add: if you run into one of these offers at checkin time, then you'd stay in the same class of service. At booking time and before checkin, these offers upfare you, at checkin time they upgrade you.

jmrich1432 and Infinite1K like this.
  4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Now I have noticed that there is a correlation between high NC/NF availability meaning that I can clear the upgrade with a Regional or SWU at time of booking. But if paying the extra $ means I get the bonus EQM/RDM than I'll need to pay closer attention next time.

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a bunch of different offers that confused all the time:
    There's Premium Cabin Upsell, which happens at booking time and goes into A/Z and gets the EQM/RDM bonuses. There's Upgrade For Cash, which used to be just at the airport, but can now happen after booking up until departure, and goes into NC/NF. Before control goes to the airport, NC/NF space has to be available for this to be offered and paid for. Once control is at the airport, theoretically, the applicable upgrade waitlist must have been cleared and then if there's a seat available they usually offer UFC. See http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/overview-of-upgrading-on-legacy-united.2287/ for some more info on upgrade options.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I took UA on the upgrade offer at booking on an award ticket on SIN-HKG... I booked a C award for 15K miles one way, and they offered me $250 to upgrade to an empty F cabin.

My PNR said "First (A)", but I did not get any miles...

The attention I got on that flight was a bit overwhelming... The manifest probably showed me as a "paid" F customer and I am also a 1K... Seriously, I probably got 50% more attention than everybody else in the F cabin and it sure got some looks from the other passengers :eek:

This was a great way to get into the SQ F lounge and probably one of the best redemptions I ever made... 15K+$250 to fly in international F on a 3.5 hours flight is a pretty good deal IMO...

7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    The system worked as designed. You can upgrade from award buckets, but you still won't earn miles. In this case, you got a non-mileage-earning A fare... In the OP's situation, Z or A would be mileage earning since the initial fare was a revenue fare. Yeah, not exactly straightforward, is it :)