Upgrade notification to my employer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Desidivo, Sep 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    We use American Express for our travel at work (it is required). As a 1K on United, I get upgraded about half the time. In the last few months, I started getting emails from Amex showing that my flight had changed. An upgrade is considered an flight change and notification is sent to me and my employer. While I understand the need for them to be notified if I change my flights (as I do often on return flights), the upgrade notice serves no purpose.

Wondering if anyone else also get notification to their employer about upgrade/flight changes.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a feature that your employer wants? What is the employer's attitude toward upgrades and FF programs in general?

A few employers forbid upgrades even if free. In a few countries, there can be tax consequences of using FF programs for business travel.

365RoadWarrior likes this.
  3. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, mine is an employer that prohibits any business- or first-class flying, even if at no incremental cost over economy. For us, it's mainly an appearance thing - at a not-for-profit.

4. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get audited more then others but the upgrades are not forbidden. What ends up happening is that they look at how many flights changes I have as a percent of total flights. The upgrades end up looking like change even thought they are free and are not flight changes. I end up having to showing that company did not pay for the upgrades or flight changes.

The times that I do change flights, I end up having to justify why I changed. In the end it creates more paper work that I have to do.