Upgrade no way

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Arrived at the gate in SFO for my flight to LAX. Noticed that I had been upgraded to first. Went up to the counter to inquire. The agent told me I was only waitlisted and definitely would not clear with a definite negative happy tone in her voice. Did not argue or say anything. As I was settling into my E+ seat guess who comes on board and gives my first class upgrade, she said nothing, just handed it to me. In fact I was the only one upgraded, so agents are not always right.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you know you were already upgraded? Did the online list or the gate screen show your name as cleared into first? If so you should have pointed to it and said, "Hey, look, it says I'm upgraded to seat <x>. Would you mind checking again?"

-Rob

3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gate screen showed it, and I told the agent this, but after her reply, I decided not to push it. I will say she was sooooo sure of herself. When she handed it to me on board the aircraft I did say thank you but she just turned and walked away.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she hadn't shown up, what would you have done?

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had already taken my E+ seat, I am not one to fight the agents for a short flight like this, after all, you are not in control, they are, no sense giving them a reason to create a problem for me.

IDGflygirl and MSYgirl like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood. I would have done the same. But would you have reached out to UA after the flight to ask them to find out what happened?

Is it possible the gate agent misunderstood you and thought you were asking about an upgrade and she knew there were none left since she had just cleared the one lucky guy (who happened to be you, but she didn't realize that)?

7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have politely inform her I noticed my name up on the monitor. If she was still difficult, I would have taken a picture of the board and sent that off as my evidence when I filled out the customer service form either during or after the flight.

8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    She had my BP in hand when she checked her computer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I live in the dark ages, no cell phone

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    flyforawg likes this.
  10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be a good time to have one. Refreshing your mobile bp is typically all you need to do to get your F seat assignment. I had a pleasant upgrade surprise last weekend when I refreshed my bp -- no email was received.

IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and Misplaced Texan like this.
  11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used to happen a lot to me before the upgrade list was published (when I was still flying DL)...not much you can do about this except hope you do eventually score the upgrade and report the negative attitude of the GA.

12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would agree a cell phone pic would be useful, but since all my travel is leisure I really don't need one. I communicate by my laptop on Skype.

estnet likes this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that the scanner didn't beep when you boarded. Many times I know I have cleared (or that my chances were very good), and the scanner always makes a tone that advises the agent to switch out my BP. Is there a gate at SFO without a scanner?

On a side note, Copa handles them a little differently. You hand them your boarding pass, and they take out a pen, scratch through the originally assigned seat and write the new seat number on the BP. As frequently as I have seen Clase Negocios with open seats, the thought has crossed my mind when flying on an award ticket to... ;)

8MiHi and flyforawg like this.
  14. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yes it did beep, but the agent who was checking boarding passes gave me an a upgraded BP for my next flight LAX YVR which I knew I had already been upgraded on as I had already printed the BP for that flight, so I figured that it was just an extra one that he gave me and did not think anything else about it. Guess he printed out the wrong upgraded BP

8MiHi and KenInEscazu like this.
  15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's exactly what happened. There would be no reason for him to print a BP for a flight for which you already had an UGed seat.

I know I look young in my picture. I must be genetically blessed, ;) but I'm 55 years old, and it took me a while to learn that being respectful, calm and kind will get me a lot further than raising h3ll. Still, you are a better gentleman than me, as I would have been respectfully, calmly and kindly INSISTENT that I got my UG as posted on the board.

Perhaps I still have a ways to go in life's journey of ongoing lessons. :)

8MiHi and sfo1 like this.
  16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I look at it this way. Was in the public transit field most of my life. I also know that in most cases when one has a problem, you are not in control, the FA's, GA's whomever, they are in charge and they at that moment are in total control of you, so it absolutely does no good to rant, rave or in any other way give them the opportunity to make your life miserable. I know that when I was in transit I was in control of most situations as I dealt with the public directly and if the person on the other end was giving me a hard time, most of the time they came out on the loosing end. At 73 I can still get impatient, and sometimes want to loose it, but then I think of the consequences and what the other person can do, and I decide it is just not worth it. I know there are some on here and on FT that think that yelling and screaming and kicking is the way to go IMO it is not it does no good in the long run,except to speed up your blood pressure and sometimes worsen ones health. End of sermon....

Flyer1976, snod08 and KenInEscazu like this.
  17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's where the respectful, calm and kind come in, see? ;)

Just a wild guess, but did your transportation career involve any buses?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the new "friendly skies"

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    "I cannot find my BP; must've left it at security. Can you please reprint one for me?"

edcho, flyforawg, IDGflygirl and 7 others like this.
  20. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to me at IAD a few weeks back. Noticed that I was #2 on the list for 3 open seats and approached the desk before things got busy. "No sir, I'm sorry, but you absolutely won't make the list". As soon as he finishes boarding Zone 1 he calls me up.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  21. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, now how would you guess that:) was a driver for many years 1962 to 1985 and then moved up to a road supervisor 1985 to 2000 when I retired, taking of passenger problems, driver problems, accidents, you name it I did it, tried to take care of any situations that came up, company wanted us to deal with it and have the problem(s) solved so it would not to go further up the line to the company execs.

flyforawg and KenInEscazu like this.
  22. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never thought of that, will have to keep that in mind if it happens again.:)

flyforawg likes this.
  23. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Theres a lot of kiosks in sfo, as long as it was close to the flight, i would have gone over and reprinted it on the kiosk and smiled when boarding.....

KenInEscazu likes this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same story but ex-SFO a couple of years ago. I approached the GA and before I even posed the question, I got the "Upgrade? No way, sir" treatment. You can imagine my satisfaction when, before even boarding, she called out the next pax whose upgrade had cleared and it was Yours Truly...;):cool:

webdes03 and mht_flyer like this.
  25. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't approach the agent at all. If I get upgraded, a new BP will print when I board. I don't think bugging the agents would be productive. Maybe I'm wrong.

I do approach the agent if there's an unusual circumstance, like I'm traveling with someone and want to give up the upgrade if only one of us gets it.