Upgrade magic on direct flights?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Apr 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on AA 2044 in the morning, the AUS-TPA direct via DFW. I typically try to avoid this flight because it's direct, so I lose miles. Now my upgrade hasn't cleared and I'm worried. The DFW-TPA segment of this direct flight is F3/A2, but AUS-DFW is zeroed.

Is there any magic I can use to try and get the upgrade on the DFW-TPA segment or am I hosed if I don't make the AUS-DFW segment since, for me, it's all one flight and one segment according to what I'll earn?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

perryplatypus and Mapsmith like this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope that it isn't zero when you get to DFW and then enquire at the gate.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This worked. Got off, asked to be put on list, was #1 on list and cleared. PERFECT, thanks!

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In order to be upgraded on a direct flight in advance there must be upgrade space on both parts of that flight. Same is true for seating, the seat has to be open on both segments in order to be assigned. At the airport each flight is separate.

zphelj likes this.
  5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally am frustrated with the upgrade likelihood or lack thereof as I fly SAN-JFK which is usually a full flight and they generally only have a 737. So even with ExPlt status I am in steerage. Sometimes I just don't have enough time to take the connecting flights which would get me more mileage and upgraded as well more than likely.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try SAN-DFW/ORD/LAX-JFK.

7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi mike. Am reminded to answer because am flying today. BOS -JFK -SAN with an upgrade on the first leg but not on second. Agree that going through DFW or ORD is more likely to get an upgrade (though not so much on LAX -JFK). But part of the reason for today's itinerary was that (1) it was actually the least expensive and (2) the most miles. This routing gets me over 3000 and since I am running behind where I should be by now I will have to bite the bullet so to speak.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out did you book the ticket? That's important, and you're also competing with all of the purchased J/F from OW carriers connecting in JFK to SAN.

9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. Because I fly back and forth fairly often I don't always book that far in advance since my schedule is not always that clear. And w only 16 seats in F not surprising that I was first on upgrade list but didn't make it. Always good to keep these things in mind. But the FAs were very nice about meal and a drink.

Aktchi and Mike Reed like this.
  10. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always found it a bit ironic that the upgrade system penalizes those who book late though they may often be paying higher fares.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The advantage (no pun intended) to American, though, is a) they get the money earlier and b) it helps with forecasting and scheduling to have folks book early. Those that committed to the flight first are first in line for upgrades. I like that a whole lot better than being tiered by fare availability. That essentially allows you to game the system to pay for an upgrade without actually buying up to F, in a sense (where available). With the often low difference between last-minute coach and first, if folks want first they can buy it.

zphelj and flyforawg like this.
  12. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice clarification. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy the benefits of the current system.

Being DFW based though don't get me started on the 'thru passenger' rule :)