Upgrade list and RPU

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I booked a transcontinental a few months ago and decided to burn my RPUs on it. Outbound cleared, return didn't. Probably not too surprising for a Friday eve flight to SFO.

But checking the upgrade wait list on the app, I don't see myself. Four people have been cleared, 60 are waitlisted. F cabin shows as full, so it is likely an academic question, but... still, I feel being ignored :)

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of the good old days of 2012, when being on an upgrade list was more of an oddity than not.

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into the same thing a few months ago on a Hawaii flight. With the RPUs in there was no sign of us on the upgrade list. I did not expect that upgrade because F was supposed to have booked in full, but not all checked-in yet so I was interested in where we stood.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    72 people on the upgrade list now (just settled into my exit row seat). It is a 753.

I think I will reach out to 1KVoice for one last time (dropping to MM Gold next year) to see if they have an explanation.

#upgrade_friendly

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    8MiHi likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same with me a few weeks ago IAD-LAX. Didn't expect the upgrade to clear on a Monday morning flight, but did expect to at least see my name on the upgrade list. OTOH last week I had used an RPU on which all segments clears. However, with the bad weather on the east coast, had to rebook via ORD instead of the original EWR. While both of the new flights still had a couple of open F seats, they also had rather long lists of upgraders waiting to be confirmed. Agent confirmed me instantly on my new flights, so I jumped the queue with an RPU.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looking at my email, UA sent me this before my flight:

"We are not yet able to confirm your request for an upgrade on your flight from Manchester, England (MAN) to Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles). While your upgrade request will no longer appear in your reservation, you will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list after you complete check-in and receive your boarding pass for this flight."

MAN-IAD was the first segment of the return flight. And I hadn't actually requested an upgrade for that segment since it was a T fare. (and no, I didn't disappear on the upgrade list for the MAN flight; I checked because I was curious how long the waitlist was).