Upgrade labelling on itinerary. Do these mean something different?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, May 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just completed, a bit painfully, a RT itinerary from KIX (Osaka) to HSV (Huntsville, AL) and the resulting itinerary display for both my reservation and my wife's show the going portion as "Upgrade requested" but the return legs as "R class requested". We used 30,000 miles + Co-pay for both directions, so why are they marked differently?? I actually asked the agent when I was on line and her response was "I don't know." :confused:

Is this just UA's website being silly again, or is there a difference?

WhatsTheDIff.jpg

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea. But, this happened to me just now. I was on a GPU-waitlist. But, one agent took me off the list while doing something else. Then, called again. Second agent says I am back on the wait list...but now it simply shows "R Class requested".

trobb49 likes this.
  3. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, wouldn't being taken off a waitlist and then put back on knock you down in the priority listing? For those with the same status level, it's the date of entry onto the waitlist that determines the order for upgrades, I believe.

snod08 likes this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what i said to the second agent.
    of course, they gave me "BS" and said "I put you back exactly where you were on the list".
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    ...it is known that agents cannot see wait list positions

trobb49 likes this.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this...

UA wouldn't/couldn't confirm, but in my case I believe that when I requested the first segment, there was sufficient R inventory for both of us to clear into R and waitlist, but there was not sufficient inventory in R on the return for us to both clear, so it stuck us in this limbo "Waiting for R class" message that you have. What is current R availability on that flight? If you're in the same ITN then my guess is that you're in the same situation we were. If they're separate PNR's then all bets are off since the first one requested should technically waitlist and the second PNR should be the one waiting for R.

My understanding is that if you're "Waiting for R class" you are NOT on the waitlist... either that or you're the first person on the wait list and as soon as R opens you're in.

I do believe that the two conditions are different though.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting .... what you are saying about "waiting for R class".

Currently of course, all flights are R-0. The one I want only has 6 seats for sale in J-class. So, kind of a tough chance to get it.