Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bkwhoppa66, Mar 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bkwhoppa66

bkwhoppa66 Active Member

Status Points:
    I purchased a vacation through United Vacations. I was successfully able to upgrade the outbound flight using instruments so now I am interested in paying for an upgrade on the inbound flight. I called up United Vacations to see if they can upgrade my flight as technically they are the travel agent. They tell me that all upgrades need to be handled by United Reservations. Fair enough. I call up United Reservations and luckily was able to speak with someone stateside right away. Wish I could remember her name as she was as helpful as she could possible be. After 45 minutes, she tells me that the fare I have, a U fare, is heavily restricted but that the main problem is that it is a bulk fare and therefore they can't even get a quote for the upgrade because they don't know how much was even paid for the ticket. She apologizes profusely and says that I need to call back United Vacations for help. I get that, no problem. I call up United Vacations again and they tell me that no they can't help with upgrades, need to call United Reservations. I tell them I just spoke with them and explained what happened and they tell me no, you need to call United Reservations.

So now I am at a loss. Can anybody tell me who is right and who is wrong here and any suggestions as to how I might handle this?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The carrier, not the travel agent, is going to process the upgrade for you. As to whether it is a bulk fare or not and whether that makes it ineligible or not I have no idea, but you're going to be dealing with the carrier directly for requesting the upgrades.

Good luck.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible for a fare to be prohibited from upgrades even if the fare class is in the normal letter set if it is considered a consolidator or bulk fare, I believe.