Upgrade improvements

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by JetsettingEric, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got this e-mail from US - anyone had any recent experience. Is it an improvement, or an "improvement"...

Ideally, instead of window or aisle, I'd like to be able to specify seats in my profile per aircraft depending on flight duration. That would be cool.

A visible upgrade list would be on my wishlist..

Stay on top of your travel with easier upgrades We keep you updated every step of the way

Over the last year, we've been investing in the products and services you want most. Now, we're excited to introduce new technology enhancements to deliver your Preferred upgrades.

Behind the scenes
    To increase your chances to upgrade, our system checks for upgrades frequently throughout the day and keeps you notified right up until 24 hours before your flight.

In your inbox
    We'll email your upgrade status to you, clearly showing your seats by flight. If you didn't get an upgrade, we’ll tell you why. Throughout the day, we’ll keep checking and email you if a First Class seat becomes available.

Your favorite seat
    Prefer a window? Love the aisle? We'll do our best to match your seat to the preference you set in your profile.

Look for our new Preferred upgrade email in your inbox before your next flight.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see any negatives here, but not a huge improvement either. Basically, it sounds like they're going to do upgrade sweeps more frequently (or get rid of them entirely and just upgrade you whenever space is available), and now the upgrade email you receive will also tell you what seat you've been upgraded to.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    This email was vague. Not sure if this made it any better. Anyone got an upgrade with the new email?

4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got my first new email this week...not sure how much more helpful this really is. Shows your seat numbers, a slightly updated list of reasons, and my favorite, the big blue thumbs down icon (in this instance):

First Class Email.png

JetsettingEric likes this.
  5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed recently that US Airways appears to be holding back more of their seats that are eligible for first class upgrades closer to the day of departure. As Chairman Preferred, I used to almost always get a confirmed upgrade if any first class seats were available 7 days in advance. Lately, I haven't been receiving confirmed upgrades until much closer to the departure date (particularly for flights originating in RIC). Has anyone else experienced something similar?

6. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My parents are both CP's, and with the exception of very short hops, I don't think they have cleared an upgrade 7 days in advance in at least a year. Usually, it's more like 3-4 days in advance, and they are missing more upgrades now than in the past.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've had a reservation where my name keeps not matching on my profile.

Called in and the agent said she saw my reservation go through the sweep and it's all good. This is pretty new, i didn't know that they could see whether it went through the last sweep or not.

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if they are holding upgrades but I do see flights with tons of NRSAs in the First Class cabin lately on US (myself included).

9. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got stung by something caused by the changes to their upgrade system. Booked a code share flight on UA with a segment on US. Can't get upgraded on the US segment. CM line said the old computer system couldn't tell it was a code share so it upgraded automatically even though it shouldn't have. Bummer. Wouldn't have booked this reservation had I known.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow - that is pretty new for it to recognize codeshares. Was upgraded on one as recently as April.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  11. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know. They told me it changed within the last month.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this is a major bummer. I didn't think the US IT team would ever get around to fixing this...it was a good run while it lasted!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  13. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would suggest fewer elites, right? Even if they hold the upgrades, elites would (should) go ahead of NRSAs on the list.

Flyer1976 and Sean Colahan like this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fewer elites or there's now more FC available with the USx fleet.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  15. heatherj

heatherj Member

Status Points:
    As a CP, I am finding that upgrades for me are also clearing at the 4 day window, not 7 day. I've only had two flights this year clear at 7 days, both return flights, one a few weeks ago BOS-PHL and one today CLT-PHL, and both cleared at the same time the outbound flights cleared at 4 days.

I do think with the absence of any major promos last year like Hop, Skip and Jump, there are many less top tier elites. I've actually been in several FC cabins lately that went out with empty seats. That would never have happened last year.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news as I am shooting for CP for 2013. How has your upgrade experience been on Trans-cons?

heatherj likes this.
  17. heatherj

heatherj Member

Status Points:
    I've only missed two upgrades all year, one was PHX-PHL and one was BOS-PHL (this one was surprising).

My strategy on the PHL-PHX-PHL routes is to choose flights on the A321 as there are more seats to upgrade to. They also fly a 752 on this route, with the same number of seats, but I find those very uncomfortable. I feel like I am lying down the entire time.

I've also flown the seasonal PHL-PDX-PHL several times already this year and always clear those as well.

I'd say the PHL/CLT - PHX routes are probably the hardest to clear.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  18. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Had a transcon clear 7 days out.. it was for travel on the 4th.. so obviously a low business travel day.

19. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have y'all figured out a work around to the issue with codeshares and US operated flights. Bought a totally US operated itinerary but it is 016 ticket stock (i.e. United). Anyway to fix?