upgrade help

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by wonderguy, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wonderguy
    Original Member

wonderguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a BA idiot. I am gold on AA and have booked a flight from US to Europe on BA. Is there any way I can upgrade to C/J by paying or whatnot?

I have snagged VIP certs in the past on AA. Is there any such way to do things on BA?

These are not inexpensive fare basis tickets, not sure yet what I'm getting but they are not ultra deep discount tickets. Thanks

--Richard

2. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only way to upgrade is to be a part of BA's Exec Club.

Also what class are you traveling in? You can only upgrade one class before you check-in. If you're in World Traveller you can only upgrade to WT+ if your fare is in certain buckets.

The most lucrative option is upgrading with miles from WT+ to Club, especially if you can get a sale fare too. From US to LHR you will have to spend 12,500 miles to upgrade one sector from WT+ to Club.

If you're in WT, your best strategy would be to see if there's a cheap cash upgrade to WT+ before you check-in (or even now on the BA website). Sometimes the airport will offer paid upgrades to Club, this is more likely coming from the US, but LHR do randomly select flights every day.

wonderguy and spaced2 like this.
  3. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So i made the mistake of not checking CW inventory before selecting my outbound NYC - LHR flight....and i picked the wrong departure airport. Currently flying WT+ and there's no award inventory in CW (though there are seats according to BA.com, just not sure how many)

Anyone (ant?) have experience waiting for close-in availability to open up? Flying on Friday and still nothing open on my outbound...but i'm checking daily.

4. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/redeemMiles/upgradeAwards.jsp

Also see the FAQ's:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-faqs.jsp#upgrades

5. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    holler! So in answer to my own question, CW availability increased by 1 at midnight UK time 3 calendar days prior to my departure date (Flying Friday, March 11, availability opened up Tuesday at 00:01)

Given my fare class it did cost me 25,000 BA miles but was able to take advantage of the Amex 40% offer to cover about ~17,000 of em. Totes worth it. Yay for service on a Hi-J 747!

6. Actually not true.
    BA do offer paid upgrades either at the airport or sometimes ahead of your travel date via the BA website.
    Prices from UK to US are £179 each way from WT to WT+, or £399 from WT+ to CW. It's not possible to upgrade two cabins from the UK for tax reasons.
    These are subject to space available, so please check at the airport to see if you can nab it on your flight.

7. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I said further down in my post! [​IMG]

8. True! I just wanted to clarify that you don't have to be a member of the BAEC to purchase it.