Upgrade from J to F - Is it worth the SWU?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Nov 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am booked on AA 137 (777) in J from LHR to LAX and was wondering if it is worth burning an SWU for the trip. J isn't bad but is F that much better that I should use the SWU? Can anyone offer any advice on my dilemna?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

Status Points:
    Obviously a personal decision but F on the 777 is really lovely.

garyst16 and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any trips booked in the future that will most likely be in Y? If so, I would save it for then but if you don't then go for it.

garyst16 likes this.
  4. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a nice long flight, but I would burn it on an overnight over a daylight (if you just have one VIP).

Sweet Willie, DCA Rob and garyst16 like this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would burn!!! LHR to LAX is too much time, and the cabin on F is superb!!!

garyst16 likes this.
  6. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    If traveling alone I find F to be much better and more "worth it" due to no need to interact with a seatmate- so yes for most business trips. If traveling with a friend (or a colleague with whom you have a friendly relationship) J is ok enough- particularly if you can get two aisle seats in the middle section of 3 seats with the middle seat open ;).

DCA Rob and garyst16 like this.
  7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    No brainer - yes

Flat bed vs angled flat

garyst16 likes this.
  8. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this:
    Don't be greedy and upgrade to F if you are going to suffer in Y for using up that SWU

9. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know that I would call it greedy. I've never flown in F on a TATL and sincerely doubt that I ever will...maybe because I am a miser with my earned miles...However I do understand and agree with the logic of upgrading a Y seat...

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another consideration would be if you have an upcoming overnight flight in J, and you'd like to upgrade to F for a better night sleep.

Opinions vary. Some would say they prefer to upgrade to F on a day flight, so as to better enjoy the service, seat, etc.; others prefer to upgrade to F on a night flight, to enjoy a better night's sleep than the angled lie-flats in J. YMMV. IF you're not sure you've got upcoming Y travel that would NEED an upgrade to J, nor an overnight that needs an upgrade to F, and it expires in Feb.....why not use it? LHR-LAX is certainly a LOT longer of a time in F than other transatlantics like LHR-JFK, etc.
    That, or another argument might be if you KNOW it will clear, as opposed to others that might be a crapshoot if they'll clear or not....

garyst16 likes this.
  11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ....and another thing that's nice about the LAX flight is that it leaves late enough in the morning so that if you really want to dive in to the "F" experience at T-3, you don't have to arrive at the crack of dawn to (not just use but...) enjoy the F lounges. Enjoy a sit-down, dining room, waiter/waitress breakfast service in BA's Galleries F, or enjoy a cuppa' in the big chairs in front of the the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the tarmac & runway from CX's F. Don't bother with AA's FL. I suppose even if you decide not to use the upgrade for J-F, you can at least get enough premium food/drink to tie you over until you land at LAX early enough in the afternoon to enjoy a late lunch on the coast.

garyst16 likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably do it. It's a long flight, and you get a bunch more room, and slightly enhanced service.

Questions to consider:
    • Does the SWU expire in February?
    • Do you likely have other uses for it between now and expiry?
    • Do you have other SWUs?
    • Do you have enough miles that you're willing to burn to upgrade a future flight if you run out of SWUs?

garyst16 likes this.
  13. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you should go for it, I hope you were not offended by me using "greedy", I just flew AA F for the first time a few months ago and was pretty impressed with service.

Flyer1976 and garyst16 like this.
  14. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SWUs I have all expire in Feb. I have no intl trips planned after this one...and I have been lucky enough to be upgraded to F on most all of my transcons. If I burn this one, I will still have 1 left. As for miles, I am sitting on 700K, but wouldn't burn them for an upgrade unless it was on an intl flight.

15. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ;) I was at first, but then took a breath and accepted it for how I thought you meant it! No worries, it's all good! I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments...

16. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have another long flight that you would use your SWU on? If you have only one SWU and you anticipate a longhaul Y coming up, I'd save it for then. If all your next flights are in J like this one, then this is about as good a flight as any to upgrade to F.

garyst16 likes this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you sound like me, I am especially miserly as I have to spend them for Mrs Sweet Willie as well. I also have never flown F TATL (although my princess has a number of times) so as stated, unless you've got a Y trip coming up, I would burn for F.

garyst16 likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what's your call?

garyst16 likes this.
  19. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you need to donate that one to someone having to suffer in whY while trying to join the dAArkside :p

garyst16 likes this.
  20. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After days of contemplation...and after reading all of the MP'ers advice, I will be pulling the trigger and going for the F ride home from LHR! Thanks to all for taking the time to share their opinions!

21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    cool !! please post a trip report as some of us like to imagine as they give all their TATL F tickets to their sig other.:D

garyst16 likes this.
  22. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will do, SW!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  23. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late to the discussion, but I'd do it in a NYM. In addition to a really long segment in daylight (more time to enjoy the suite) LHR-LAX is also a movie-star intensive flight. Who knows who you might sit next to?

(Last time I burned an eVIP for a J > F u/g I ended up sitting opposite Emmy Rossum on LAX-NRT. Nice person and D-D gorgeous.)

garyst16 likes this.
  24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously a personal decision, but...

On one hand, Y->J is more meaningful upgrade than J->F (forget "aspirations", I am talking about escaping torture). On the other, you have to use your SWUs before they expire.

So, if you have enough economy long-hauls coming up, save your SWUs. Otherwise, burn them.

garyst16 likes this.