Upgrade for oneworld elites on BA?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by jasher926, Nov 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had success getting a complimentary upgrade from economy to premium economy on BA solely based on emerald status in oneworld? Is there a better chance if you don't book a codeshare flight?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Freebie upgrades are never based solely on either BA status or OW status. BA simply does not work like that.

Status may be a factor in being selected for a freebie upgrade, should BA decide that its operational needs require it to upgrade people (usually due to the lower cabin being oversold and thus needing to roll people up). But there are many reports of BA Blue members getting freebie upgrades too.

jasher926 and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Operational upgrades are not driven by transparent logic on any airline. BA least of all.

You may hope for 1W Emerald status to be prioritized. But that's what it is - hope.

For reasons I don't fully understand, I've had an extremely lucky op-up career across a number of airlines...some of whom I have no status with.

Remember, not long ago BA operationally upgraded the Shark on a WT+ award ticket to CW. I had no status with BA, in fact, quite the reverse...it's common knowledge round these parts, and others, that I'm one of the most globally-hated opponents of BA by the apologists and more than likely, by a number of the employees. Because I don't apologize for the lapses in quality of service and product - of which there are, and have been, many....anyway, if anybody could expect to curry favor with station managers, it's not me.

Point being, if they opup shark under those circumstances and leave 1W Emeralds in the back while doing so, then your hope may be forlorn.

Oppa Gangnam Style!

4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you do have a good chance of being upgraded with your OW Emerald status in your booking although only if they have oversold Y and need to move some Y passengers into WT+ to make room for them. Although they do tend to upgrade their own elites first before partner OW status kicks in. Some people who are in the know reckon the pecking order goes something like BA Gold/Silver then OW Emerald and so on. Only if they're really getting desperate will they upgrade the likes of redtailshark.
    Of course there are other things to take into consideration as well like travelling alone and checking in online as early as possible does no harm to your chances. Be warned....ordering a special meal is not advisable.

redtailshark likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) But to relate to this posting, we need to know, what/who are "the likes of redtailshark"? Do you mean, enemies of public order and threats to democracy, or crusaders against the unaccountable and unacceptable products and policies of the Nigels and Nigellas?