Upgrade (CPU) shenanigans

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Feb 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Witnessed some crazy upgrade shenanigans yesterday on UA560, DEN-SFO.

At the boarding gate and on the mobile app I was #2 on the upgrade list. Flight was booked 11 out of 12. I figured I wouldn't make it anyway. Before boarding starts the gate agent pages #1 on the list and says there's an upgrade available for them. No one goes to the gate to claim a new BP. But interestingly the website and gate screen still shows booked 11/12 and the person who was #1 on the list is still #1.

Boarding commences and I'm watching the mobile app. #1 disappears off the list and suddenly I'm #1 showing booked 11/12. I thought for sure I would get the upgrade.

One more refresh and the original #1 is back on the list as #1 and I'm now #2. Still showing 11/12. At the same time I look at the standby list and low-and-behold #1 and #2 on the upgrade list (me and the other guy) are now showing as #1 and #2 on the flight standby list. Huh?!

Back to the upgrade list a few minutes later and it now shows booked 12/12 "FULL" with #3 having moved up to first class while #1 and #2 (me) are still on the list as they were. Agent came on board and moved someone in an aisle seat around row 10 to the first class cabin. I heard her say the name and it matched #3 from the list.

How could this have happened? Did the agent possibly do this on purpose? Did the agent make a mistake with #1 and then me as #2 which mistakenly moved us to the standby list as well?

It's a 2hr10min flight so not the end of the world. It's just frustrating that UA works hard to create some transparency in the process and the gate agent completely fubars it.

-Rob

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either the agent has no idea how to use the system or REALLY knows how to use the system. I'm guessing the latter as they put you back on the flight correctly after processing the upgrade for #3.

goalie likes this.
  3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a note to Customer Service (with more detail)?

goalie and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While changes such as can't be tracked in SHARES but a department in Chicago should be able to pull up the data and analyze action by action to see if there was shenanigans involved.

I wonder why TravelerRob didn't say anything to the agent about it as events were unfolding? I would have been proactive but then again he did say it's not the end of the world.

goalie likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Challenging an agent pre-flight is rarely a good idea. Doing it when you aren't certain of the circumstances is a really bad idea.

That is unless you aren't too worried about missing the flight.

IDGflygirl, genemk2 and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was in his shoes I'd have politely asked the agent when I was #1 with 11/12 booked as to deter them from doing any shenanigans. However I have to agree with you challenging a rogue agent pre-flight is only a recipe for disaster usually.

I got shafted twice at SEA (downgraded) and someone else was upgraded and every time I asked (same supervisor by the way) and got :rolleyes:. I've always taken the next flight out (in F though) so what you say is true.

goalie likes this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, the odd thing is that #1 and #2 (me) were *still* on the upgrade list at the same time we were on the flight standby list. That's what really threw me off. I assumed she unseated us for a second to upgrade #3 but the data doesn't support that according to the mobile app. Even after #3 got upgraded, #1 and #2 still appeared on both lists.

Going back to the mobile app the flight standby list does not show #1 and #2 (me) as being cleared onto the flight.

A few things here. Before the flight even boarded I went up to the gate agent and asked about any misconnects for first class and that I was #2 but there was only one seat open. She said she didn't think so and I confirmed with her that if a seat opened up she would come on board and get me. She confirmed she would.

#3, who ultimately got the upgrade, was already seated in his coach seat as mentioned in my OP. So she followed the same process she said she would follow for me- if a seat opened up she'd come on board and get me.

As for saying something as the events unfolded...I'm already seated in the exit row. I'm not about to cause a scene in front of a 100% full aircraft with a gate agent holding a BP for someone else. I truly don't have a leg to stand on and I'm not one to cause big scenes. It's not my style. Now if this were an international flight with a GPU then I would definitely say something or stay out in the gate area until everyone boarded.

-Rob

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess this sums it up...

Aye lad, that be shitty.™

TravelerRob, goalie and Scottrick like this.
  9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes this stuff can be tracked in SHARES. All one has to do is look at the history of the flight.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another interesting point on this. Miles posted today for my connection out of SFO but did *not* post for the DEN-SFO flight that showed me on the standby list as per my original post. I'll give it another day or two and then call the MP 1K Service Center if the flight doesn't post.

Not really happy about this situation now. I've seen this gate agent for a long time in SFO so I know she's not new. And SHARES has been around for almost a year for the UA agents.

-Rob

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rob, I've had good luck with 1KVoice in getting missing miles posted - for me it's quicker and less stressful, but results/experience may vary.

12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've generally had success. Two weeks ago I submitted an ORC and it was handled in 24 hours. Four days ago I had to submit another ORC and I've had nothing but crickets so far.

I might just use 1K Voice for this problem, too. I'll see if the flight posts tomorrow but I suspect it won't.

-Rob

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't got to that part yet about SHARES. :oops: