Upgrade CO flight using UA miles + I have status (co-pay??)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sean Colahan, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My friend is looking to upgrade some CO flights (on CO metal) using his UA miles. Is this possible? Also, he has Premiere status with UA. Will the co-pay be waved? Sorry if this post has been made before.

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    He can link his accounts and move his miles in between the programs as well as his elite status.

3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can he move it back when he is done flying?

4. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, one can move miles once per day and up to 200,000 per move. He could move just enough to cover the upgrades of course.

5. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Status is matched, not moved. Not sure how long it takes to match. I filled out the form yesterday and still have no elite status on CO.

Miles can be moved between CO and UA once per day in 1,000 mile increments.

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume since you are talking about co-pay, the flights must be Int'l. IIRC, it has been reported that a call to UA (since that is the source of the miles) would facilitate the upgrade on CO with UA miles... if there is availability. Don't know what the co-pay rules would be, though.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO charges a co-pay on cheaper domestic fares for non-elites. I'm pretty sure UA does, too.

Any the only way to upgrade on CO metal with UA miles right now is to do a *A upgrade or to transfer the points and make them CO miles and then upgrade "locally."

8. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not directly addressing OP's question, but it seems relevant to note that a subtle but non-trivial difference when sponsoring upgrades with miles on UA vs. CO is that on UA, it is the upgradee's status which matters from a co-pay perspective, while on CO, it is the upgrader's status that matters.

For example, on CO, an elite can use his miles to upgrade a non-elite, and there would be no copay associated with it - but a non-elite using his miles would have to pay a copay to upgrade an elite. On UA, an elite member using his miles to upgrade a non-elite would have to pay the copay - but a non-elite using his miles to upgrade an elite would not.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flights are domestic.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the help. I think I will have him open a CO one-pass account, match status, and transfer the required miles to upgrade.