Upgrade availability

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by foxberg, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering what chances do I have for an upgrade for a tomorrow AA179 JFK/SFO. I looked seats availability and it shows 3 seats are available. I'm only Gold and requested an upgrade on stickers. I've been put on the upgrade stand-by list. Do I understand correctly that EXP and PL requested upgrades should've been cleared by now? I bought the ticket back in November and requested an upgrade at the time of booking, so does it mean I have a chance to be high on the list or are there other variable that come in play prior to the flight? Thanks.

zpaul and uggboy like this.
  2. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish you all the best in getting that upgrade. Chance could be good since it's probably not a very common flight, being on a Tuesday.

As far as other Gold's, your chance are good to be ahead of most, if not all. But if an EXP or PLT even buys a ticket today, they'll be ahead of you. So you just need to pray for no EXP and PLTs on that flight. Given all the double promos last year, I think there is a heavy load of PLT and EXP this year. But who knows.

Would EXP and PLTs have cleared by now???? Maybe EXPs, but doubtful PLTs. I was PLT for most of last year, and rare did I get the upgrade prior to being at gate. EXP late last year and this year has been more successful in getting early notification (and I fly on Monday morning hell out of DFW).

Good luck and just cross fingers!

3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless they're holding back on EXP and PLT upgrades hoping to sell the tickets, they should have cleared by now. Flying on a Tuesday should help your chances, but that's a tough route to clear usually. 1/4 as a PLT last year and the cleared was the day after x-mas.

zpaul, uggboy and foxberg like this.
  4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think holding back a few seats for sale on this route is common. I flew this route a few weeks ago, and the upgrade list was VERY long. I booked last minute and paid for F as the price difference wasn't so bad.

As a Gold, I'd highly recommend burning the miles and co-pay. It was a 6.5 hour flight a few weeks ago due to strong headwinds.

Short of that, try to snag 17AB or 17HJ as its a 763. These are crew rest seats for international flights with great legroom, more recline, and leg rests. They become available 24 hours ahead of time on some domestic routes.

perryplatypus, zpaul and foxberg like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm 21B - Exit row. Currently, there's no one next to me. But I had the same situation on my previous flight and someone from a row behind asked to be moved up next to me. It kind of ticked me off. 17B and 17H are available, but the seats next them are occupied. So, would you switch 21B for either 17 in this situation?

zpaul likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ticked you off? Isn't that a little strong for someone taking an available exit row seat? They're often the best choice when no upgrade is available, so you should likely expect them to be full all the time.

malikguy and zpaul like this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I fly AA every year managing to make G just so I can have these extra benefits, like getting an Exit row seat. Of course, I don't get pissed when the seat next to me is taken by another Elite. But when someone wants to just "move up" - yes, it does tick me off. Call it selfish if you will, but if there's no one next to me I'd expect to enjoy that extra comfort during the flight.

zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, that's the misconception. Those aren't elite-only, they're elite-first. Your benefit is access to those seats before airport control.

malikguy and zpaul like this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see. So anyway, any suggestions on wether I should move from 21B to whatever 17?

zpaul likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I prefer the legroom of the exit row. I'm 6'2" though. If recline is more your thing, 17 is better. Note that I say this from 10J on the same bird... Right now.

zpaul and foxberg like this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky you! Thanks!

zpaul likes this.
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought all 763s had Main Cabin Extra, and therefore had row 10 removed. Not true?

Row 17 and the exit row have similar legroom, and 17 has legrests and more recline (as it is a crew rest seat). This makes row 17 the winner in my book.

13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is strange. I tried changing the seat to 17H but I got an error:
    Your reservation is confirmed, but you will need to obtain your seat assignment from a gate agent at the airport. Please check in at a Self-Service Check-In machine at the airport and obtain your seat assignment at the gate.
    So, when I went back to look at my itinerary it still shows 21B. And 17B which was available earlier today is shown as taken, which means it's possible to reserve. I hope I haven't just screwed myself out of the seat.

zpaul likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did you do online check in prior to trying to change seats?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is a common misconception and one that seems to be affirmed by many of the posts in this thread.

The 100/72 hour windows are simply the earliest time at which AA will allow upgrades. They are by no means, especially in the last year, the time at which AA will upgrade elites should seats be available. Many EXPs, including myself, have had to wait until 5 minutes till departure on upgrades. If you dig through this forum, you'll find a thread from December where I got the last seat in F as an EXP on a ticket I purchased and requested almost 10 months ahead of time.

Also, when you say "I looked at available seats", do you mean you looked at fare class availability or simply looked at the seat map? If you looked at the seat map, that's an a good way to gauge open seats in F.

anabolism, zpaul and John777 like this.
  16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the answer. Anyway, no UG for me, number 9 on the list for one available seat. No problem though, I got some drink tickets at AC (the girl was very nice) - I know, I know it's too early in the morning - and should sleep my way through to SF.

desamo, perryplatypus and zpaul like this.
  17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    • Checking for unassigned seats doesn't tell you much. Much better to use ExpertFlyer and see how many seats are for sale.
    • When you say "EXP and PL requested upgrades should've been cleared by now" keep in mind that the upgrade window (e.g., 100 hours for EXP) is merely the earliest that AA will do the upgrade; it might happen at any point between the start of the window and when the flight closes.
    • Your time of request determines your order within your group. So, you might be at the head of the Golds, but that's still behind the Platinums and Executive Platinums, even if they requested today.

18. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange, JFK / DFW on Saturday is F7 / A7 / P4, wide open and no T-72. That's a first for me.

19. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    17 was not available through the AA site, but a girl at the AC looked it up and changed my boarding pass to 17H. There was no one next to me either, which was a good thing since 17H seat was broken and I moved to 17J(?). The recline was great, and I had more then enough leg room. From now on I'll be looking for these seats whenever I travel. BTW, are there similar seats on other aircraft or are they 763 specific?

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Within AA, they're unique to the 763. Typically they're crew rest seats, hence the increase recline and foot rest.

foxberg likes this.
  21. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first transcon for the year and so far didnt get the upgrade email, so I am hoping it will happen at the gate like Destination David and anabolism mentioned that it will happen close to departure time but there are only 4 available seat so we will see.

22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out did you book?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far in advance did you book (and request the upgrade), and what is your status? Also, are you on a connecting flight?

24. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought it early Jan, They sent me an email 3 hours before my flt and got upgraded n since my flt was redeye I slept through the flt now makes me wonder if they even serve food bec flt attendant woke me up 40 min b 4 arrival for hot towel n glass of water.

25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lolspeak makes this difficult to read. That said, 6 weeks out on a transcon is, in my experience, "on the bubble" as lots of folks can book these early. Glad you made it!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

TravelScrounger likes this.