Upgrade Advice for TransAtlantic Flight

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KNeeks, Oct 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. KNeeks

KNeeks New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all! Happy Friday! My husband and I are currently stationed in Italy and have to come back to the states for a wedding in November. I recently booked flights via Priceline on American to go from Rome to Philly and then back over. I have Gold status on American which I know really isn't anything nowadays. I used to travel a lot more for my job when we were in the states but haven't been able to get back up to Platinum. I also have the AAdvantage Red MasterCard but I don't think that would help in this situation....

My question- what is the best way to upgrade our flights? My husband is pretty tall and I'm recovering from a broken leg so extra leg room would really help keep me from getting super stiff! Any advice would be appreciated! I'm not a travel newb but I haven't had great luck with American on my journeys across the pond in the past....thanks!!

satman40 likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    KNeeks, welcome to InsideFlyer! As a Gold member, it's not an easy upgrade on AA. Your only option is miles & co-pay (unless you know someone who can give you a Systemwide Upgrade). I've upgraded a few folks who were Plat on the JFK-LHR route with middling success. Rome-Philly is a less popular upgrade but it depends on when you're traveling. It's an extremely popular route during Easter and summer.

KNeeks, alfagirl and satman40 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight ORD FCO the 24th, 20 empty seats in J and only 1 seated in FC,

Check the seat chart.

1 of the J is my wife, and I have put in for a upgrade, my bet is I make it,

I have not checked a seat chart for the return yet, season is slowing down..

KNeeks likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that it will help you for this trip, but you might want to check out the thread on AAvacations that shows that buying a business class ticket through them is often MUCH cheaper than through the airlines (like 3k pp rather than 10k even if you don't use the hotel) Haven't checked but it might be a better deal than cash and points (which may or may not be an option for you don't know your situation) AND has the advantage of getting the class you want rather than needing upgrade space to be available!

KNeeks and alfagirl like this.
  5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ditto on that last portion.....if you really want to sit in Biz/FC and do not want to sit in economy, buy the Biz/FC tickets, as you can no longer count on an upgrade.
    I have also heard that AA vacations is way cheaper for flights, just do not stay in the hotel, I think that you can even book the hotel fir fewer nights.
    good luck.

KNeeks and Pizzaman like this.
  6. KNeeks

KNeeks New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses! The wedding is the weekend before Thanksgiving- a very tough travel time I know... I'm planning to call the Gold reservation desk to see what it would cost in miles & $$ but I wanted to check here first!

Good to know about the AAVacations....didn't even think to go that route. Might suck it up and sit economy depending on what they say. Then possibly use the AAVacations route to plan a good holiday somewhere else. I've wondered if it's a waste to use my miles to get around Europe since there are so many options to find cheap flights via Skyscanner, RyanAir, and EasyJet....Once I'm back on both feet- I definitely want to explore more of the European continent!

Thanks everyone!

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can check the seat chart, to see the load factor,

Empty plane they sell upgrades at the gate, even if you request the upgrade it is not automatic,

My flight to FCO has only 1 FC seat sold..next week,

Spend the miles, they will be worth less next trip...

Enjoy...

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very much so.

I used cheap train tickets (€19 Berlin-Hamburg, €29 Amsterdam-Düsseldorf) and a €39 Easyjet ticket HAM-AMS to explore and get around Northern Europe in between a business class flight into TXL, and going home business class from DUS. Trains are not particularly efficient going Hamburg-Amsterdam, even though it's a relatively short distance, but for <300 mile or so distances, trains are very viable options, as well as shorthaul point to point flights, given the convenience of train stations in city centers vs. airports on the outskirts of cities, plus the added security theatre and waiting around in airports.

I find train travel or shorthaul flights on LCCs to be much better than spending miles for flights not included in longhaul awards.