Updated mobile site

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else notice the changes to mobile.united.com? No idea when they went into effect because I haven't used it for a while before today.

I'm not sure if I like them or not. I thought the whole point of the mobile site was to make access to data quick and use as little data as possible across 3G/4G/WiFi so that the pages loaded quickly. The new mobile site *appears* to be more graphics intensive as well as flashy. I wonder if there are some benchmark results on the amount of data it uses.

-RM

sobore likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave up on the mobile site a while ago, I'll have to give it another try.

3. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, there used to be two united mobile sites. If you went to m.united.com you would see the text-based site and there would be a link to a "smartphone" site. The one that's there now looks like that "smartphone"site. I guess the IT folks didn't see the sense in having two separate mobile sites anymore. Can't say I disagree with them.

Flyer1976 and sobore like this.
  4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just download the app. Ever since they adopted the pmCO app I've been a happy camper.

ssullivan and rggale like this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The iPhone app sucks IMO. The browser version of mobile.united.com is all I use until I leave for the airport because I hate the mobile app.

If they would just fix the bull$hit of going back to the home screen every 10 minutes when you have an upgrade list up on your phone I would actually use it more.

-RM

TAHKUCT likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Android app also with a lot of glitches and it takes forever to do something on it. I just use it for my mobile boarding passes

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just checked the flight status page. The text version reports at 5102 bytes; the smartphone version comes in a 7162 bytes. An upgrade waitlist page for a flight tomorrow was ~16K v 23k.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is new from within the last few days. There was a different mobile site on Friday when I last used it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is defaulting to the smartphone site rather than the text site. There is a link at the bottom to switch back.

TravelerRob and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised to see how much you dislike this app - because my experience with it is completely opposite. I use it pretty much daily, and ever since CO released this app I think it has been well-designed and tremendously useful. They have listened and added the features to make it even more user-friendly (including getting Flight Status directly from your BP).

Frankly, I can't imagine going back to the mobile site for much at this point. But that's just me. And my iPhone :)

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but the smartphone site now is different than the smartphone site that was live on Friday. I only ever use the smartphone site; the text site is too hard to use on a touchscreen. Either that or I've got fat fingers.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm just a dumb user of the site. :p

I even looked at the bottom because I thought it was the wrong version of the page and I completely missed the "Text version" link. Back to looking and functioning better IMO.

-RM

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I never used the smartphone version so I didn't realize it had changed. :oops:

14. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The mobile site is a bit different, but it looks like they just updated some of the graphics and transitions between the pages than any true functionality difference. (But notice how the mobile site gives more detail about MP account transactions than the website does --why aren't they pulling from the same data source?)

As far as the mobile app, I too find it useful --the ability for it to remember to keep recent flights stored to check out seat maps/upgrade lists is very useful and a much needed upgrade from earlier versions. I use the mobile ap exclusively now for clearing TSAs and for boarding. The few times I'm in a city that doesn't accept mobile, it just feels weird.

15. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1.

The only quirk I ever have with the Android app is that if you open any of the links on the flight status amenities tab, the other links on that tab stop working. But that's about it. I don't experience any other bugs with it.

16. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've run into that issue is if there's a data connectivity issue. And if I have the app on and I go from a Wifi area, shut my Wifi off, and then put on my 4G internet, the app tends to hang up and freeze on me. So when I use it, I make sure I'm not swapping out 'net sources while the app is running.