Update to Lufthansa GPU Certificate Request Process

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know about some upcoming adjustments to the way you request Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) on Lufthansa.

As many of you know, the current process involves requesting a generic printed certificate from the MileagePlus Service Center, and then presenting it to Lufthansa on the day of departure. The lack of unique information has made it difficult for Lufthansa to track usage of these certificates, so United and Lufthansa have agreed to certain modifications that will allow us to better understand where this product is most used. Ultimately, this information will enable us to strive for a more reliable, secure and seamless product experience in the future.

Starting March 1, when you request a GPU certificate for use on Lufthansa, we’ll ask you to provide some additional information:

• First and last name of the traveler who will be presenting the certificate to Lufthansa

• Departure and arrival city/airport of the flight segment to be upgraded (reminder: GPUs are used on a per-segment basis on LH)

• Flight number and flight date

• Confirmation number of itinerary associated with segment to be upgraded (this can be the Lufthansa confirmation number or the confirmation number of another airline/travel agency you used to book your ticket)

This information, with the exception of flight date, will be printed on the certificate before it is mailed to you. After that, the redemption process with Lufthansa remains the same.

Lastly, we understand that travel plans can change, and so long as the name of the traveler and the flight segment remain the same, the certificates will be honored by Lufthansa (on a space-available basis). However, it will be at Lufthansa’s discretion to honor the upgrade should any other flight details change. Since this remains a per-segment upgrade product, we do recommend printing certificates specific to each LH segment you might which to upgrade on your full itinerary.

Thanks as always for your feedback, and if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them. We've posted additional details on the GPU information page as well as the Lufthansa partner page on united.com.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the updates Aaron however it's somewhat murky in IRROPs situations. Are you saying that its entirely up to the discretion of LH to accept these GPUs on rerouted LH flights?

3. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool, thanks for the update.

In the past, some people have reported that certain LH stations (like SEA, if I remember correctly?) have sometimes required that the person sponsoring an upgrade via paper certificate be physically present at the airport/departure gate if they're not the same as the traveler being upgraded.

Any word on whether we may still expect stations to do this? Or does printing the name of the traveler on the paper GPU make this obsolete?

4. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Track Usage of These Certificates = Track eBay Secondary Market

I can understand that the name and mileage plus number should match the person travelling, or at least be present in person at checkin, but departure airport / confirmation number etc? That is just silly. All it is going to do is mean people are going to be ordering these, and redepositing them on a regular basis.

I also don't like the language "Lufthansa's discretion". That means you are throwing your upgrade for different flights at the wall and hoping they stick... anytime anything is left to the discretion of someone who typically isn't in a decision making position normally, it makes for a lot of frustrated travellers.

Say you'll accept them, say you won't accept them. Either way, make sure the rules are not open to interpretation, and provide a method of receiving paper certificates faster than the 2 weeks to a month it can currently take.

From NYC, coflyer2 and kyunbit like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Off to FT for the fireworks.

6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    that's my guess as well.

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    So if the upgrades don't clear and the coupon remains unused and you plan to use it on another leg, you are at the mercy of Lufthansa's gate agents, so definitely not recommended. In fact, I have doubts that if I showed up with a FRA-ORD specific voucher and it was dated 3 months ago with a different flight #, they will not honor it even if it says so in this post. I hope the policy above will be printed on the voucher.

I also hope that Mileage Plus redeposit department uses less than 3-4 weeks to redeposit vouchers and that you still overnight these vouchers with Fedex like in the past.

Fun fun... More paper work for everyone to avoid that people sell these vouchers on Ebay while the majority of members don't...

coflyer2 and Infinite1K like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have never bothered to use my GPUs for LH because it seemed to be too much hassle and the risk of ending up in LH-Y didn't seem worth the benefit (yeah, no chance I could use them from C->F). But this new process makes this "benefit" even less useful to me.

Prediction: usage will drop. Next year they'll be discontinued due to "lack of demand".

From NYC, coflyer2 and kwai like this.
  9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the title to this post, I thought United was going to perhaps improve the system by getting rid of the paper-centric process and maybe even expand the program to include other Lufthansa Group carriers like SWISS, Austrian and brussels airlines. After all, we'd seen how they were favoring Lufthansa and other JV partners with extra EQM and RDM on premium fares.

Instead what we get is a process that only makes the use of this benefit (is it even a benefit anymore?) more difficult to use. As it is travel can be uncertain with delays, re-routes, etc. Why would an airline introduce an updated policy that throws more uncertainty into the mix?

I hope United reconsiders this updated processes and comes up with something that is more efficient and actually is a benefit for their customers.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sucks. Plain and simple.

From NYC, coflyer2, kwai and 6 others like this.
  11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this really is about tracking eBay sales, don't LH SWUs have serial numbers on them? It should be traceable.

12. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    More like plane and simple, no? ;) But either way, it still $ucks :mad:

From NYC likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen one. But assuming they have a serial number, couldn't they just buy a few on eBay and terminate the accounts? A few reports on FT or here of closed accounts/lost status should make those who sell think twice.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen the need to use my GPUs on LH flights as all my TATL and TPAC flights on which I use my GPUs are with UA. The only time I fly LH is intra-Europe, where I usually do not care about upgrades since most flights are of short duration. Thus, this is a Big Yawn for me...

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But think about it -- European 1Ks might use LH to fly around the world. They already have the problem of getting the GPU certs shipped to them (takes a while, from what I hear).

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but it isn't a problem for HIM so it doesn't matter. ;)

It likely wont affect me much, either. I don't fly LH metal long haul on revenue seats in the back very often. But I still see this as a bad thing for MP members.

17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my first thought as well.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's at this point when I started laughing at the notion.

From NYC, kwai, legalalien and 2 others like this.
  19. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another change that we'll like.

goalie, Infinite1K and genemk2 like this.
  20. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa has eVouchers for the Senator/HON members that are similar to United's SWU GPUs.

They can be used on the various LH group airlines (LH, LX, OS, SN, etc.) and I believe they can also be applied to UA flights.

Does anyone have experience with using the eVouchers on UA flights? How does the LH process compare to the manual/antiquated UA process?

21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Had to read the thread over there for myself (kind of the same reason you look over at a wicked traffic collision).

About as predicted, a handful of good points and a lot of bravado and hyperbole.

22. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have pointed, printing the Name and MP number would have been enough. Hope UA insider takes the feedback from the posts here and coaxes the management out of this really stupid arrangement.

Yes, I can hope :)

Flyer1976 and Golden Toque like this.
  23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It actually wasn't much of a hassle at all. I'd print some in the beginning of the year and keep them in my bag. Of course with variable expiration (another try and fail project of the new United that they abandoned fairly quickly) it became more of a hassle, but historically, these upgrades usually comes through (I'm 100% from C-F and only one fail Y-C) and I use them every year.

These changes makes it a hassle because if they don't clear or travel changes, you have to send them in the new UA uses forever to get them redeposited if they post at all. The address is a PO Box so you have to send them registered as you can't send Fedex etc to a PO Box.

So yes, usage will go down, and this blows. They have gutted booking classes and now this. It's like they want to get rid of these vouchers

coflyer2 likes this.
  24. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the re-deposit rules?? If the cert doesn't work and you still take the flight surely you can get credit back for it? Mail it back to UA?

-Rob

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, you have to mail it back. But it is slow and in the meantime you have no access to the GPU, either via paper or electronic. It sucks.

From NYC, tommy777 and 8MiHi like this.