Update on New Premium Cabin Meals on United Express

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Feb 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

As you may recall, last fall we shared with you the news that we would be introducing freshly prepared meals to our United Express cabins as part of a multi-million-dollar investment in our onboard food and beverage program. In advance of the first flights with the new meal service I wanted to share with you some additional details as we elevate and more closely align our United Express experience with that of what you see on our mainline flights. Please note that we schedule meals based on average scheduled block time for each city pair we serve. Here are the key details:
    • Phased-in introduction: New menus will first be introduced on the E170 and E175 fleets beginning March 1, followed by CRJ700 and Q400 flights in April.
    • Full meals on flights approximately 2:20 hours or longer: During traditional meal times, like on mainline, we will offer a full breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal service served on chinaware. Our regional aircraft are not equipped with ovens so our United Express menus have been designed with this in mind. Here are a couple sample menu selections:
      • Breakfast: Fresh fruit plate served with cereal,Greek yogurt, and breakfast bread
      • Lunch/Dinner: Artisinal pretzel roll filled with tangy barbecue chicken and creamy coleslaw, accompanied with a tri-color quinoa side salad. Pre-baked signature triple chocolate chunk cookies will be served for dessert.
    • Light refreshments on flights approximately 1-2:20 hours in length and on flights over approximately 2:20 hours between meal times (1:30pm - 4pm and after 8pm): We will offer a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit.
    • Flights approximately 1 hour or less: Our shortest United Express flights will offer a morning refreshment service with gourmet biscotti and on flights later in the day we will offer a premium fruit and nut snack mix.
    Additional details are available on united.com.

UA Insider

1877_WS_IMG_1744_V2_800x528_V3.jpg

Dublin_rfk, 8MiHi, mht_flyer and 8 others like this.
  2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope I don't get stuck on any flights with 9:59 or 10:00 departure times. ;)

Sammich and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. I have a flight on an E170 on 3/1 so looking forward to seeing the changes.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt anyone will mourn the demise of the old AM/PM ExPlus snack boxes.

Flyer1976 and FortFun like this.
  5. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the picture in the OP an actual picture? The sandwich looks like it was Photoshopped into there.

That said, I welcome the real food on UX flights. Thanks!

ETA: yup, definitely Photoshopped in. https://i.imgur.com/SXJR7Ux.png

Dublin_rfk and snod08 like this.
  6. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of what marketing is doing with print materials, the new food on mainline UA has been very well received in my world of small sample sizes. My professional colleagues who travel have remarked on it, @MrsGarp had a fine meal last week, and I've seen the reactions of my fellow passengers as they eat meals that they like rather than they tolerate. UA did good here.

7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was about to post "I would just like one meal to look that good!"

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I don't book a flight for the food and that being said I have only experienced a really small number of :rolleyes: meals and most of those were with other carriers. Now I am looking forward to seeing the new product.

Flyer1976 and Garp74 like this.
  9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried the tri-color quinoa side salad today; I think a bowl of "random carpet fibers" would be more enjoyable. For my breakfast flight, the "egg scramble" consisted of powdered eggs...really disgusting. I had a nice dinner last weekend from the new menu, so I hope they rotate in better things once they see what's getting traction ...or not... with their passengers.

Jslo likes this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew the KOA-SFO red eye in F and they brought out the snack basket....we used to get a "Mediterranean" tray, some cold cuts, olives cheese, etc....so it sounds to me like you are upgrading most business class meals but downgrading some?

Flyer1976 likes this.