Update on New Int'l Terminal @ ATL for DL?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by brfort, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what is the latest news on the new int'l terminal @ ATL? In the recent press release DL said that they were totally revamping international flight experience @ JFK and ATL. Does this mean the new terminal being built to the east of E is solely for DL use? For some reason I thought it was going to be mixed use until the new southern terminal for non-Sky-team airlines was completed.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not read anything that said the new terminal is exclusive to DL. I suspect it would be a heavy financial burden for DL to aquire all the gates there.

Horse likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the ATL DO, when we viewed the construction site from the control room, we were told that it would be shared with other airlines. I assumed that this meant nonSkyTeam, but I don't remember exactly what was explicitly said.

4. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone heard if the problem of how to get pax from the existing terminal to the International terminal will be achieved?

5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume the tram was going to be extended. Its too far for just an underground moving walkway isnt it?

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a relief! For years all the trains heading east from E were "going out of service." There must be tens of thousands of them in some subterranean storage pit by now. This will free them to actually get somewhere.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my understanding, although a big advantage is that terminating international arrivals will be able to leave the airport directly after clearing customs and will not be required to go through security screening or to recheck their checked bags to the main baggage claim area just to leave the airport. However, I'm not sure how this will work for folks with cars in airport parking garages of those planning to use MARTA: will there be landside transportation to the main terminal?

8. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was an article, IIRC in the AJC, towards the end of last year which mentioned a minor oversight, that there was no transportation setup to take pax from the Intl terminal to the existing terminals. Here is the link from FT. . . :confused: :eek:

9. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    what a fail indeed. do I smell IAD-style lounges :D

10. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    The article you cite does not say that you can't get to the other terminals. The article relates to accessing ground transport options from the new international terminal. In other words, there will likely be a shuttle bus to the rental car depot (or a satellite rental car depot at the new terminal) and the MARTA station. Shouldn't be different from the shuttle buses used at any number of other airports. Not sure that is a big deal or even an oversight.

My reading of the information is that the new terminal will be fully connected to the other terminals. A little unclear as to whether one would connect from F to E, and then on, or whether one could go directly from E to A, for example. According to the ATL website, E and F will be both be utilized a single international gateway.

Italy98 and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it would be a big deal as I hate the airport shuttle buses. Having to take one on arrival to use MARTA, rather than taking the train terminal train or walking to the MARTA station is a big deal. It's less problematic for rental cars if one must already shuttle to them rather than walk as in smaller airports.

12. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You must hate most US airports. :)

The number that even have real public transit access, much less those that have direct access to it from the terminal is tiny. Heck, most don't even have direct access to the rental car terminal. The bus ride to the rental car terminal at IAH takes you to Louisiana.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I accept that I will probably be forced to use a bus to the rental car in large airports, but I hate being forced to use a bus because of barricades, lack of sidewalks, etc., or because the planners didn't put the subway or train station right in the airport. And I prefer the airport trains to shuttle buses (or people movers like IAD has).

14. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A major concern is if one, upon arriving, will have to go land side to access the other terminal(s), thus requiring the need to again go through security. :mad:

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that on all international arrivals (except from Canada with border and customs clearance before departure), you must reclear security before going to connecting flights anywhere, AFAIK everywhere in the US and also in many foreign airports. The new ATL terminal will be no different.

mtkeller likes this.
  16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully ATL doesn't create a situation where one has to go landside to get to an international departure gate after arriving in ATL on a domestic flight. Having lived in (metro) Atlanta for six years, it would not at all surprise me if some civil servant messed things up severely enough that this is the case.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would make some of us hate even more to connect through ATL. It would cause DL to lose customers, just as they lose customers who don't want to deal with the pit that is DL at JFK.

18. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    $1,350,000,000.00 / 12 Gates = $11,250,000.00 Gate /30 year life = $3,750,000.00 per gate /365 Days a year = $10,273 cost per day per gate over 30 years / at best 3 departures per day (international) =$3424.00 for each departure per day for 30 years.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    $3,424 per departure, if an average load factor of 200 pax per departure, that's $17.12 per passenger. However, this doesn't factor in the cargo, which I would think has a revenue value equal to that of the passengers. Considering that, it probably costs less than $10 per passenger.

BTW, is the 1.35 BN cost factoring in the interest payments, or is that the principal only?

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be principal only and there's no calculation of operating costs, maintenance, etc. in the above numbers.

Jim likes this.
  22. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is just stupid expensive! Until I read that, I assumed it was another E Terminal with 25 or so gates.... TWELVE, you have to be kidding me.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all fairness, the international gates are gates for large aircraft. Moreover, we are assuming that these gates will not be used at other times for domestic flights.

24. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is more than just tacking on 12 new gates. In many ways, it is like building another 12-gate airport, as it includes new (international) arrival and departure areas and services. This is a 1.2 million square foot facility, with 13 security lanes, parking, check-in facilities, and CBP facilities. For comparison, the similarly-purposed, slightly larger, 17-gate T4 at JFK cost $1.4bn and was finished in 2001, putting the cost in 2010 dollars at maybe $1.7bn or so. It isn't cheap, but given the nature of the facility, it isn't absurdly expensive, either.

I'd be stunned if the cargo revenue came close to equaling the passenger revenue on the flights using the new terminal. DL's cargo revenue is less than 3% of total revenue and passenger revenue is some 32x cargo revenue. Even airlines with dedicated cargo operations, like LH, still see cargo revenues that are only about 10% of total revenue. Given the incredibly low numbers, I doubt there is a single flight in the DL schedule where cargo is make-or-break for the economics of the flight, and I doubt that cargo volumes will be make-or-break for the economics of the new terminal.

From the airport's perspective, over 50% of ATL's revenue comes from parking, rental car fees, and retail. My reading of the annual report is that concessions alone, even excluding rental income from the concessionaires, bring in more revenue than landing fees. To the extent that this terminal can drive concession growth, the terminal becomes much more affordable, and from the retail perspective, I suspect that international passengers are the most valuable passengers.

25. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good points, travelgourmet. I'm thinking that if ATL can shed some of its reputation for being a horrible place to arrive from overseas, it will help out a lot in terms of the ancillary revenues for the airport.

MSPeconomist likes this.