Update on Ecerts

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Terry Quinn, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I just passed another threshold and the ecerts posted the same day. I just reviewed my history so far this year and there is a good detailed read out of all activity in the ecert account. AC got this program up and running very nicely.

2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may be up and running nicely now, but the implementation was far from smooth.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is a real shame. This could have been handled in the positive way it was intended to be, giving us much more flexibility. But instead, AC's bean counters got involved to create bad will. Elites got eviscerated. AC insisted in sending paper certs with less than 2-months validity for passing thresholds in December rather than eCredits. AC told us they'd send us extra certs to bridge the March start-up but then never got the kits out in time, so in the end had to issue extra eCredits. Had they just not been so obstinate and done all these things in the first place...

BTW The Lev, how quickly to Pass purchase eCredits post?

Exit Row likes this.
  4. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC is the dealer.They set the rules.House always wins.

We can also live in the past.personally speaking ,time to move on.

OP has it right and I like the system as it is now.

Keep it goin AC

5. Pass purchase ecredits post immediately also, or at least mine did.

The whining never stops with you. I'm at 70K SM's this year and have used two TPAC ecerts, 17 each way, and still have 73 ecerts in the bank. By the time I reach 100K i will have an additional 45 ecerts plus any pass activity less any credits used. so, even if I do another TPAC I will pass 100K with about 84 ecerts in the bank.
    Admitedly one of my TPAC's this year was in January using last years certs but I will have enough left over in January to do another similar trip again.

As I approach the 2MM club; 2MM since 1988 w/o Canadian miles and about 4MM since the 70's, I don't see myself riding cargo class on long haul flts for some time to come. Worst case scenario is I will have to use some of my almost 800K of current FF miles in various airline accounts and growing.

6. MiltonR
    Original Member

MiltonR Silver Member

Status Points:
    When are AC going to get rid of the arbitrary Feb 28 expiry date for ecerts? With the electronic system there's no need for that. They should be valid for 12 months from the date they were earned. I presume the software could easily accomodate that.

7. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    No such luck here. Purchased a pass about a week and a half ago and still no credits. It took almost 2 full months for them to post on my last flight pass purchase. Maybe it's just me, but it's not looking like flight passes get credited automagically.

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what you're talking about. I said I like the new system but that AC shot itself in the foot by screwing up the implementation. That's a verifiable fact because they had to back track on three things they said they wouldn't change. That's all I pointed out, Parnel. It is also a fact that AC screwed Elites royally, but the little people don't matter much in your world of high flyers. If it wasn't for our "belly aching" campaign earlier this year to make AC see the light, it would not have admitted its folly and made those changes so most Elites got at least enough credits for two T+ 5K+ upgrades! Glad you're still a Master of the Universe and will continue to crush those pesky Prestiges and Elites.

why fly likes this.
  9. the e-certs was a great idea, other airlines have been doing it for 4+years. AC was late to the game and made a mess of it. Screwed E's, and made a disaster out of the implementation.

10. The word I get is that they will review their stats, now that they have some control over them, and make decisions based on studies they undertake

11. Wow a post from WF and another shot...who would have guessed? The constant whining makes your credibility zero. You're not an elite and its unlike you to take up the fight for others........oh yea I forgot you wanted to keep your foot in both the UA and AC program. Loyalty is loyalty and AC finally called your bluff on the phony war you tried to get going.

12. No doubt the rollout was not smooth. As for them screwing Elites royally I'm not hearing that elites are abandoning AC and they are watching for signs.

They now have the statistical data base they need to make better informed decisions and understand who is using the ecert system and when. I think that will eventually lead to a "sharpening" of the ecert program based on solid data.

I would strongly suggest that those whose fury was the loudest last year are probably figuring out how to reach another tier level of miles flown as opposed to abandoning the Aeroplan program;maybe their employers are again making more money and increasing travel budgets. AC's BIS numbers are up in case you hadn't noticed and the Asian flights, except for NRT, are flying full and then some almost every day. LHR and FRA flights are similar in seasonal mode as well. More people are buying J,Z or C class fares apparently, because the number of gate upgrades per flight I've been on, in two Asian and one European trip so far this year, has been minimal. All those flights were R0 at the seven day window as well.

The rest of your post is the typical nonsense we have come to expect from the bottom feeder club. I like low fares and easy benefits as much as you but the economy has changed and Airlines everywhere are on a tear to make money. AC does not have the population base to deal from like the US carriers you like to compare them to and have to do what is right for their balance sheet.

I'm happy you recognize my master of the universe title....I had thought your hero was the importer of slave labor goods from China.
    By the way in case you don't think I understand the difference you should know I am currently in China doing due diligence on a future partner for a Company I am affiliated with. On the DD list is a questionnaire about the labor standards of the Chinese employer and the expectations of the NA partner. We have asked for and received audited reports of their hiring pracices and their pay practices in terms of the industry they are in.
    My client will also send trainers to develop a cadre of employees who can work to NA standards. I have visited the housing complex the employer funds and seen the whole Company process and not just the finished goods. Price is only one part of the equation for my client. We are looking at partners in other Asian locations to compare.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically, the eUpgrade introduction was pretty smooth. The things that were not so good were (1) the announcement/PR activities, and the ramp-down of the paper certificates. But the AC IT team did get the eUpgrades running with only minor glitches -- a solid result given how much crap is thrown at the IT team in general.
    This I would definitely like to see changed. At the minimum a 6-month minimum expiry for the eUpgrade credits would be needed, a hard 28-Feb expiry each time is unnecessarily harsh.

14. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is driven by the "paving the cow paths" mentality.

It made some sense for the paper certs to have a fixed expiry date (to make the printing process easier and cheaper), but it makes no sense to keep a fixed date. It should be a rolling 12 months (and it doesn't matter to me whether the end date is the end of the 12th month or exactly 12 months from date of issue).

I don't see a necessity for bean counters to spend endless hours trying to analyze this to death. It is simply common sense.

15. Give the program time to show results and give them some data to work with.

16. LONDJC
    Original Member

LONDJC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick procedural query. This week will be my first traveling on an upgraded using e-upgrades. I'm presuming that everything will already be in the system on check-in and I won't need to produce anything (although I thought I should carry a printout of the e-mail I received confirming the upgrade just in case). Has anybody encountered any problems at check-in with showing that their u/g cleared?

ACMM likes this.
  17. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you do OLCI, your boarding pass will indicate Exec First vs Economy; once in awhile the system bleeps for a cert for flights that I booked pre-Mar 1, but the GA ignores. if you are confirmed, you should be good to go.

ACMM likes this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the AC Forum. I have have no untoward issues using eUpgrades ... went very smoothly. Have a good trip!

19. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just cancelled my Latitude Flight Pass flight for the redeye tonight and the eUpgrade credits were redeposited immediately.

ACMM likes this.
  20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems the system is getting the kinks out - good to see.

21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably J9 R0.

ACMM likes this.
  22. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you upgrade a person on same flight who does not have an Aeroplan number?
    Is it possible?

ACMM likes this.
  23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sign them up as an instant member online. Get their new account number and set them up as one of your designates. All this must be done in advance, though still possible online at the airport if you know seats are available and you have enough credits.

unclepants likes this.
  24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passed 60K when one of my flights from last week posted on Saturday. eCredits were in my account by Sunday. The email congratulating me on earning them arrived yesterday. Expect to cross 80K by Victoria Day weekend. Last flights using upgrades went smoothly too. Outbound cleared immediately at the elite window, return went into the wait list queue but cleared two days before the flight. So that end seems to be working well too. Flexibility is the key to the success too, since few orphan eCredits are expected at the end of last February, quite unlike the pile of SWUs remaining this year.

25. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope they would extend the shelf-life of the upgrade credits to 12 months. I'm not too optimistic though.

If they don't, then I would burn them quick by buying Tango plus instead of Latitude.