[Update] New "Original Member" indicator.

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Tim, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    As I'm sure you noticed (before seeing this thread that is) we have updated the way that we show if a user is an Original Member next to their posts. The reasoning behind this change is pretty strait forward and has to do with displaying user titles other than Original Member and by displaying the Original Member tag separately we can now both show that a member is an original member as well as another relevant title. For example with our newly appointed Guides there had to be a choice between the two before this change, they could either have a title of "Original Member" or a title of "Milepoint Guide". With this change in place they can be recognized as both.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you have added the status too...

Very nice :)

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  3. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, thanks for the explanation, Tim, much like on FT/TOBB..
    One could not be both an 'Original Member' and a 'FlyerTalk Legend' at the same time ! :D
    One reason why a simple 'Member' moniker is so desirable, IMHO :)
    Another is now I'm ONLY a 'Silver' and constantly reminded that I'll need to step it up to get where I really wanna' be! ;)
    Just like I'm only a Marriott Rewards 'Gold' member.. darn, I much prefer Platinum!
    Guess that's the point, perhaps? ;)
    In any case, thanks again.

4. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice work!

BTW, I'm wondering when is/was the cut off to qualify as an Original Member. Has that time passed?

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    May 15th is the cut off for this so for those that are interested in it that have not gotten it yet there is time.

BondAir007, Tenmoc, savydog and 2 others like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. This looks very different! However, I notice that the Original Member designation has now disappeared from the profile that one gets by clicking on the icon or user name. Was it intended to replace Original by Metal Status?

Thanks for verifying the cutoff for folks trying to become Originals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will there be different colors for the frame around the avatar, depending on status?

8. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Yes, that was an intended change that within the profile page it shows the "metal" status rather than the Original Member status. As implemented now you can think of Original Member as a badge or designation rather than your actual title.

Horse and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    This is something we have talked about, though we don't have plans to do this at this time, the current consensus here is that while it could be a neat feature, that it might be too distracting from the sites overall design. This doesn't mean that we might not revisit the idea at another time and rethink though.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    After looking at these further, I notice that the MP Guide status appears in place of metal level status, both underneath the icon and when one clicks on the icon. This means that one cannot see the metal status of those guides who have made their histories private. To me, this is something that should be disclosed clearly.

11. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tim. A follow up question. If someone joined by May 15, but only post sparingly, is there a Status Points threshold one must have in order to become an Original Member?

12. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info

13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’d assume it’s still 35 SP.

Like the new look :)

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's always been 25 SP. Some people jumped from 20 to 30 or 35, and since the trophies come on a sweep an hour after points are awarded, there was really 1 to 2 hour lag in seeing the OP awarded. That often made it seem that the threshold was higher.

I haven't noticed lately to see if that has changed. I think silver is still kicking in an hour after you hit 100 points.

lin821 and Tenmoc like this.
  15. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I naivelly thought that this was reserved for those who did beta testing

k2o and milchap like this.
  16. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Israel last week, and when Dovster was still asleep (the poor dear -- I had really exhausted him), I got out of bed and started looking through his computer to find out which women are sending him letters which undermine family values and, worse, might give me competition.

I found so many -- and saw the enthusiastic replies which he sent them -- that I was sore tempted myself to "cut off" his original member. That would teach him -- you betcha!

I now have 20 points. In another 3 weeks I will get 5 more points for my one-month anniversary, so that will make me an original member even if I don't post again, right?

That puts me way ahead of Joe Biden and, if I am gonna be honest here (like I always am, except when I make up some excuse to Todd about why I am going to Israel so often), I have to admit that being an Original Member on Milepoint is a heap better than being vice president.

Of course, almost anything would be.

pnoeric, Grail, lin821 and 5 others like this.
  17. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My "original member" designation went poof and I was indicated as a "new member" instead. I did join during the beta period though! :)

Edited to add: wait, it's now only showing as "member" :(

Chimpy and milchap like this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why?

What bearing does their "metal" have on their designation or performance as a guide?

Just another example of folks focusing on the "status" instead of the value. This whole status thing is a mess in the making...

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK no one who isn't a guide, founder or admin has an option of hiding the status level that now shows below their avatar and user name, even if they make their history private (although the admins and founder have not chosen to make their histories private). It also shows for the rest of us when we click on the username or avatar to see the profile box, but again the word guide appears instead for them. This makes it look like Guide is a status level above and beyond all others, that supersedes any and all other forms of contributions to MP.

I think we should be able to see whether guides have been "promoted" to Gold or higher status. For all we know, the Guides could be the only ones to ever make Platinum.

I can also imagine that there would be situations where it would be useful in evaluating a guide's "suggestions" to know what their own pattern with MP has been.

Original Member likes this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a member until you become silver. The OM title is completely unrelated to this.

Chimpy likes this.
  21. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great job with the upgrade looks nice.

22. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am confused about the differences between "new member," "active member," and "member." It seems like too many intro levels.

23. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    The ability to earn Original Member will end as of May 15th, regardless of when the user joined the forum.

They are just differences in titles, nothing other than the title changes between these three levels.

24. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are looking at the wrong place.

Try to find the new ribbon-style title right above your user name and under the avatar. See your "Original Member" title now? That's what Tim's talking about new "Original Member" indicator in this thread.

The place you saw "member" is meant to show other status with MP, such as Silver, Gold, Guide, Admin, Active Member...etc.

Tim and Horse like this.
  25. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    37,984 members is my guess.