[Update] New enhanced plain text editor.

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Tim, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    We have just recently updated the plain text or "non-rich text editor" to include more extended BB Code options without having to do the BB Code tagging on your own. Below you can see what this editor looks like when posting using it:

middle-class-editor.png

In order to enable using this as your default editor go into your preferences under your user name in the upper right, uncheck the box next to "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages" and save.

In order to use this for a single post while using the rich text editor click the symbol that looks like two A's next to each other:

rich-text-toolbar.png

This functionality should be useful to users do not like using the rich text editor and/or prefer using a more traditional text area that is common on older forum software as well as users that want to limit the amount load on pages as much as possible, but still want to have some buttons to make their BB Code easy to use.

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good. Often the rich text editor gets confused if quoting a formatted post; particularly the initial, non advanced version. I end up back and forth between the rich text and bb code editors to clean up artifacts, format text, and still see what it's going to look like.

sobore and miles and smiles like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank You!!!

My middle-class editing needs are now sated. :D

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also gets confused deleting text from time to time -- maybe because it's the quotes that I'm trimming. I end up using undo fairly often to get back to pre-confused state in the rich text editor ...

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any chance that the buttons can somehow not be tab stops? When creating a new thread and tabbing from the subject box to the content box it now requires pressing the button about 15 times rather than once. :(

Also, I still don't have the option to switch to the rich-text editor if I start with the plain text one, though I suppose that should be in the other thread.

6. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    perfect, thanks.

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Give that tab button a try now. :)

8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I found a side effect.

When I am creating a reply and I use tab from inside the textarea, it goes to the Forums tab at the top of the page, and pressing enter then returns me to the main forum page instead of posting my reply. My posting style is to type my post, press tab, and then enter to post it. It works this way for all the other forums I use so I'm hoping we can restore that functionality while keeping the fix for Wandering Aramean's needs.

9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks Mackieman, I'm going to change up how I'm doing this to hopefully alleviate that.

I'll let you guys know in this thread shortly if I think I have a fix in place, in the mean time tabbing might act a little odd for a few moments.

10. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Ok, I think that I have this working as you guys are both expecting now. Let me know how that is working for you.

11. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    so its disabled entirely for the moment right?

edit - im not seeing it anymore?

12. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I was working on it for a while there, during that time it was quite unpredictable as to how it might work. Should be working as expected now though.

On second hand I see I have messed a little something up. :) Should be back in a second. Thanks.

doc likes this.
  13. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Ok, now you should be good guys. Thanks for the assistance.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks great so far!

Tim likes this.
  15. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a test post.

Edit: Perfection, thanks Tim!

Tim likes this.
  16. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    im glad im not crazy =D

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've been playing with this now for a few days and I'm noticing a quirk when editing a post. When I click the edit button it pops up the text box but without the toolbar. Not until I click in the text area does the toolbar appear. And that shifts everything in the DIV down a bit so where you clicked and where the cursor ends up are two different places. Plus there is a bit of a delay while it finishes loading after processing the click event.

Can you take a look and see if you can replicate this? I'm pretty sure it is what is happening.

Thanks!

18. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I am seeing the buttons not showing immediately there. Out of curiosity, has this been happening for a while now or are you just noticing this as of today? Thanks.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe it has been happening since the toolbar was introduced; definitely longer than just today.

And if I can be a real PITA I'll throw one more request out there. Can Ctrl-B/I/U be made to do bold/indent/underline for the text? And can the cursor be placed after the "[url=" when you click the URL icon so I can just paste in the link?

Would be swell. :)