UPDATE: Get on BusinessFirst on 2 787's for 20,000 Points!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by tahsir21, Sep 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tahsir21

tahsir21 Z Representative

Status Points:
    Yeah, you didn’t read wrong. 20,000 points for a first class ticket to anywhere united flies! This is a one way redemption and it will save you about 5,000 miles each way!

How in the world?

Well, the trick is to use Star Alliance partner Singapore Airlines. Singapore airlines currently has a redemption rate of 25K roundtrip for economy, 40k R/T for business, and 60k R/T for first. Singapore also allows ONE-WAY awards.

So, After pondering about yesterdays amazing deal, I was able to find another amazing deal.
    The same itinerary as yesterday is now 20,000 one way!

How?

United’s new 787 has no First Class. They only have BusinessFirst & Economy. This benefits a redemption the most because Singapore only charges 40K Roundtrip or 20K one way. I initially didn’t think this would work, but it did.

I was able to call up Singapore Airlines and book this:
    Newark-Houston-San Francisco-Los Angeles on the first 787 flight on November 4th.
    2 Segments will on the 787 (EWR-IAH)(IAH-SFO)

The redemption follows the same rules as the united award so you can add in destination on both ends like LAX-SFO-IAH-EWR-TPA and it will still be 20K one way. My main use for this will be to use 20K to come back on the inaugural flight. I say inaugural very loosely because November 4th is the first day they start flying the 787 domestically.

Also, if you find saver availability on United Airlines website for the Dreamliner, Singapore will be able to book it with no problems. I recommend just writing down the exact flight numbers and giving it to the agent. This helps you redeem it faster.

Here’s the KrisFlyer number: 1-213-404-0301

I will buy the flight in economy to get to EWR for about $139

So lets Recap:
    It is possible to get on the Dreamliner using Singapore Airlines Points. If most of you don’t know, Singapore Airlines is a 1:1 transfer partner of Amex Membership rewards and SPG. If you transfer 20K SPG points, you get an extra 5,000 bonus points. Theoretically, you only need to transfer 35,000 SPG points to get a trip for two one way on the Dreamliner Lie Flat Seats! I would recommend transferring 40K though because then you would get a 10K bonus.

Also, many people say you cannot hold a Singapore Airlines award but again, I can prove this wrong because Singapore Airlines held my reservation for two days after I told them I needed to transfer the points in. I am not sure if this is a one time courtesy hold but i’ll call again and try to hold a random reservation.

So there you have it folks, the BEST way to redeem for lie-flat seats cross country on the Brand NEW 787 Dreamliner! Only 20K points!

http://www.bengalimilesguru.com/?p=262

There are endless possibilites with this award!

[​IMG]
    My Itinerary for a 787 Flight from EWR-LAX

2. JapanMiles

JapanMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very cool.

alohastephen likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smart.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally would rather spend 25,000 UA miles than 20,000 Amex MR points (or SPG points), since I have a lot more UA miles and am acquiring them more easily. The absolute number (20k vs. 25k) isn't necessarily a good measure of value... and of course everyone values things differently anyway.

daemon14 likes this.
  5. tahsir21

tahsir21 Z Representative

Status Points:
    Even though you may be acquiring them more easily, I value United points way higher because in terms of international travel, its only 32,500 one way. I use one ways a lot and those save me a ton of money!

For membership rewards, it's sometimes hard to get the same value out of them for me. I'd rather spend 20k amex points than spend 25k united points anyday!

6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love one ways too but with Avios points.

Granted you have to avoid LHR but the 40% bonus from MR to Avios makes me value MR a lot more.

That is why everybody has their own valuation of miles and we can only hope to give them baseline advice.

I like mileageplus as well but I don't particularly like flying out of EWR either.

MR gets me to JFK or LGA.