Upcoming Trip Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    In August my partner and I are celebrating 15 years together with a trip to NYC and Iceland! Now, there is a direct flight from AVL to NY or one with a connecting in ATL. If my newfound knowledge serves me correctly I could possibly get more MQMs (new lingo use) by taking the route with the connecting flight. The plan is to use DL. The question is how do I determine the mileage of the direct route v. the connecting? Some of you seem to be able to pull these distances out of a hat. I know that AVL to ATL would be 500 MPs but I don't know the ATL to NYC or the AVL to NYC.

The second part of the trip is NYC to KEF then back to NYC. It will be two separate bookings.....unless that would somehow be a mistake.

Any input would be appreciated! Oh, and hotel chains would be good too. I am currently only a member of the Accor hotel one.

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    www.gcmap.com

Enter the airport codes as in AVL-ATL-LGA, AVL-LGA, etc.

aptraveler likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesomesauce! Thanks!

harvson3 likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, one other question with regards to this trip. I was planning on using my Sapphire points to book some of the flights. Would using those points make the trip ineligible for miles? The flexibility of those sapphire points makes me think they might work differently for some reason

harvson3 likes this.
  5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, you'll still earn miles by using your UR points to book through Chase's online booking tool. If you transfer to United/BA/Korean/Southwest and then redeem, however, you don't get miles. HOWEVER, the second option (transfer to an airline, then redeem) is widely believed to be much better value than booking through the Chase portal if you can find saver award availability.

daemon14 likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 separate bookings would only hurt you if you are connecting the same day from AVL-NYC and NYC-KEF. You won't be protected on the 2nd itinerary if something goes wrong on your 1st.

If you're spending time in NYC between the two itineraries, you have a buffer for any irregular operations.

harvson3 likes this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are spending 4 days in NYC at the front and one night on the back end to hopefully avoid any conflict. I initially thought we might be able to do the return all in one day but so few flights out of KEF left too small a window for my comfort for connecting in NYC.

daemon14 likes this.
  8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Congrats on 15 years!!! :)