Upcoming stays without status...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by viguera, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a rather interesting dilemma coming up in the next few weeks and I'm wondering what I should do...

The wife (who currently only has status with SPG) has a week-long business trip to San Diego later in late September. I on the other hand have been on the chase and have status with Hyatt / Hilton / IHG / etc. Her business travel is limited so this particular trip won't bump her into any new tier or anything of the sort.

My plan is to meet her there half-way through and make a trip out of it, but for the first 3 nights she'd be on her own. I should know the answer to this, but are there any chains that currently honor / credit stays on a reservation when you're not present?

Obviously the perfect solution would be if we could benefit from my status (and credit to my account :) ) if I could show up day 1 and check in, but that's unlikely. Otherwise the alternative is to "waste" the first three nights and credit them to her account, then have a separate reservation for when I arrive -- either at the same hotel or another where I have status.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

flyingdawg, marcwint55, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  2. Carlee

Carlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be interested as to what others will say. I have personally checked in under my husbands name and if asked just said he's meeting me here later. Never been a problem.

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    bingo! This is the format that Mrs Sweet Willie & I follow all the time.

4. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're nervous you could always make the reservation and list her as the 2nd adult. Then it's a shared rez, on your credit card with your account number but she's already in the system.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you be spending the whole week at one property or were you planning on hotel hopping for status?

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done this in the past with my daughter. I added her name to my reservation and told the hotel that she would be checking in with her credit card as I would be arriving later. Even though I never arrive, she has always received the upgrades or other perks I would be entitled to. I have never had a problem or even a question from anyone regarding this and the points and credits have always posted to my account.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    She's going for work and technically only needs to be there Monday through Thursday. My plan is to arrive Thursday and stay until Sunday.

I hadn't thought about hopping as much as maximizing the nights or perhaps the stays, and making sure she gets the perks for the duration rather than just when I arrive.

flyingdawg likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might even <gasp> be able to be honest with the property in this case? Explain that you're sharing the room with your wife and will be there part of the stay and not the other, and ask what the procedure is. (Perhaps while saying that your name is Mickey Mouse, though?)

flyingdawg and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I might try that, although I would understand if they would consider my status mine and not ours...

Of course just like when we fly F, having her experience the benefits first hand goes a long way towards justifying the craziness we all go through in the pursuit of miles and points. :)

flyingdawg and Sweet Willie like this.
  10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Follow SW. This works all the time. It has never been an issue [YMMV though]

11. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In those situations I add my SO as the second guest in the reservation. There was never a problem to receive the expected benefits.

flyingdawg likes this.
  12. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had regular sucess with Club Carlson on both paid and reward stays. They give you the option when making a reservation of listing another person as the guest. I have done this on several occasions and my guest was given upgrades (even though they had no status) and I got the stay credit and associated pts.

viguera likes this.
  13. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have booked my husband and daughter Priority Club point breaks (at the Crown Plaza) under their name (different last name than mine) and they were given my Platinum status room upgrades and welcome fruit plates even though I wasn't with them. (And I did call and ask in advance if I could book the rooms for them under my account as they have no status or accounts with this chain).

14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First question is where you will be during the first 3 nights. Will you be staying in a hotel in the same chain? If so, you probably would have issues with the "double" listing. Next question is if your wife is on business travel, will she have expense account issues if the bill is not in her name?

If the answer is "no" to both, then you should have no issues with booking under your name with her as the second person.