Up to 100% Bonus Miles (until 13 April)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Counsellor, Apr 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received an e-mail from US Air offering a bonus of up to 100% if you "share" up to 50,000 miles. The bonus goes to the recipient. Fee is 1 cent per mile plus a transaction fee of $30 and tax.

Here are the terms and conditions. I don't see anything about the offer being targeted.

They say this offer does not apply to Buy and Gift transactions. If I understand this correctly, the miles being shared come from your account? So if you have only (say) 30,000 miles in your account, you can share no more than 30,000 and those will disappear from your account?

It does seem a good deal if you know someone else who has a Dividend Miles account and one of you has at least 50K miles in your account. You could "share" 50K miles from your account with the friend, the friend actually receives 100K miles (and you lose 50K miles); the friend then does the same by sharing 50K miles from his account with you, and you receive 100K miles with the bonus.

In the end, you each net 50K miles for $530 and tax, or slightly over one cent per mile.

Am I missing something?

Newscience likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you're missing the 7.5% tax recovery charge, which brings the total closer to 1.1 cents per mile.

This sounds like the same offer that comes around every now and again. If you value US miles at >$.01@, this may be a great opportunity to refill balances.

My question: what are the chances that these purchases might count toward lifetime status in the combined program? I’m recalling how UA & CO applied CO’s more generous rules retroactively to both programs’ balances (all EQMs counted toward lifetime total, even bonus EQMs and partner EQMs), and I’m wondering if AA will do the same thing given how many years they counted all earned miles toward lifetime status.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be quite a gift to the USAirways customers in the "New American Airlines" merger. Is it realistic to expect that this will occur?

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    gleff seems to think not. But the CO/UA treatment of UA customers was very generous. (Depending on where you were coming from. For some, the take-aways that motivated the class action lawsuit were a bigger deal.)

One thing to consider is that the subset of fliers with big lifetime balances in both AAdvantage and Dividend Miles is probably pretty low. Except for us silly mileage junkies, I suspect that the loyalty programs mostly work as designed and most fliers have focused on one program or the other over the years. So while using the old AA rule might be a gift to USAir customers, the merger of accounts, by itself, may not be of huge benefit to many.

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  5. Winningflyer

Winningflyer Member

Status Points:
    Found out today family member has account but with zero balance due to inactivity. Because I didn't want there to be a "fluke", I reinstated the lost miles for $10. Now, ready to transfer 49k x 2 on Barclays Arrival and transfer back 50k back via WN Visa (most likely). Family member will have 50K and I'll have 100K and residual 1K.

Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.