Up my game: advice for newbie?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by roaminghawgs, Dec 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. roaminghawgs

roaminghawgs New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I've done some browsing on this website and hoping I might get a bit of advice on some points strategy. I have AA lifetime gold and 2 long-term AA credit cards (gold AA MC, AA AMEX -- no annual fee). Recently cleaned out AA miles on two tix to Australia from US. I don't have hotel elite status. I travel for work 1-2/month, but not with consistent hotel/airline (Hilton perhaps most common, but not enough to get elite status from stays). I have a European Delta flight booked for January so was thinking of doing a status match challenge for Delta...could get a 2-3 more flights in on Delta in 90 days, but guessing would need credit card to reach silver. A few questions: 1) Any suggestions on a card? 2) Is it possible to pick the start date for the challenge -- or do you know how long it takes to process the request (so I can best time the request)? 3) Alternatively (additionally?), should I focus on getting Hilton elite status? Not sure how many credit cards is too many or if there is any timing I should take into account. Any advice would be much appreciated!

satman40 likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keeping this general, but applies to your situation:

In general credit card will not matter as far as challenges are concerned - for challenges they are usually looking for miles flown butt in seat, and on the specific carrier (and sometimes very close partners). You also often only get 1 challenge per "lifetime" in most cases, or in some programs once every several years. Using it up for possible silver status is not going to give you much.

If you want hilton status, just get one of the credit cards that gives it, or do something like an MVP fast track.

satman40 likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    chrislacey likes this.
  4. roaminghawgs

roaminghawgs New Member

Status Points:
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your tier match request. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Congratulations! Your HHonors account has been upgraded to Diamond status. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your new card. Your status will be active until March 31, 2017.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link

6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can ay at Hiltons, then for $75/yr you can be Hilton Gold with AMEX Hilton Surpass or $95/yr w/Citi Reserve Hilton. Hilton Silver with no-fee AMEX Hilton or Citi Hilton. You can maximize sign up bonuses by getting both no-fee cards, then upgrade one to Hilton Surpass of Citi Hilton Reserve. Even better to get Hilton points if you can charge your work Hilton stays to your personal AMEX or Citi Hilton card.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    or if you have amex plat...or if you enroll in one of the fast-track programs that are available very frequently. Hillton Gold is almost more difficult to not qualify for, plus has properties everywhere.