"Up In The Air"

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Punki, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it certainly wouldn't fit in "Off Topic". ;)

Joe and I had listened to this book a while back. The book was horrible. How on earth could anybody get excited about accumulating 1,000,000 miles from all sources. Weird.

Tonight we watched, the movie. While I admit that accumulating 10,000,000 miles is a much more laudable goal and that the acting was very entertaining, the movie was also really depressing at the end. The very poorly presented story line in the book was much more uplifting.

Am I the most naive person on earth, or maybe just one of the luckiest? I was flat-out flabbergasted that a married woman with a family would have an ongoing affair on the road. OK, I knew there were a few sleezball guys on FT who did this sort of thing, but a mother? That made me really sad.

So what did you think of the book and the movie?

lisamcgu and Jim like this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    haven't read the book... but I have come across quite a few women that are worse than men that are stereotypically labeled as players.

and I agree, its worse for a woman to live such lifestyle, even though I'm sure others would disagree.

lisamcgu likes this.
  3. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    She was not alone, I know several former coworkers who "did that sort of thing on the road," and the females were just as involved as the males. While there are some exceptions, most times it takes one of each gender.

I read the book and saw the movie. Both had interesting moments, but overall quite depressing.

lisamcgu, IDGflygirl and 2soonold like this.
  4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    It makes me sad that people aren't happier with their choices in life. [​IMG]

We did, however, laugh at the airport scenes. His security routine and strategies were so similar to ours that we could do nothing but laugh. :D

5. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never read the book.

The movie was pretty lame, I was disappointed. I think I had much higher hopes that it would really be concentrated on frequent flying.

6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too preferred the book and read it prior to movie release. I went to the early screening of the movie in MSP and found the movie depressing, not a celebration of miles at all.

lisamcgu and kayet like this.
  7. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong--I am not a prude and definitely believe that single people should happily enjoy all aspects of the chase game, right up until they settle down. But, when you say those vows, that's the end of the chase game.

Maybe I am uber sensitive, having just said the "Til death do us part" words in front of God and everybody one week ago today, but those promises are pretty serious stuff.

8. heffa
    Original Member

heffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    The movie has been on HBO for a month now and I have seen it countless number of times. Should I go for the book as well?

lisamcgu likes this.
  9. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not condone cheating on a spouse in any way. However, I do not believe women should be held to a different standard, as has been suggested by some here. I loved the movie, but then again, I was not expecting it to be a celebration of frequent flying.

10. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Times are different now.........this goes on quite a lot.

lisamcgu likes this.
  11. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on your recent nuptials!

lisamcgu and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Both men and women should be held to the same standard. It is not OK for men to cheat while deplorable for women.

13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, secretsea, those vows were repeated to the same guy I had repeated them to 40 years ago. We were sitting in Mass last Sunday (our 40th) when the priest called us up to the altar and married us all over again in front of God and everybody. It was a huge, and very delightful, surprise to both of us. :)

14. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still Congratulations are in order! [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely wrong for both parties. When we were originally married, I made it perfectly clear that if he ever messed around, he would never have to worry about going through a divorce. ;)

In the movie, Ryan Bingham was just a single guy, acting like a single guy, with someone he thought was a single woman. I suspect he was as shocked as I that she turned out to be a married woman with children.

lisamcgu, IDGflygirl and secretsea18 like this.
  16. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't say, heffa. It is a completely different story line. The thing that made the book fall flat for me was the fact that they were making such a huge deal out of the accumulation of 1,000,000 miles from all sources.

The fact that in the movie he was chasing 10,000,000 from all sources on American, where they actually count all the miles, made it a lot more realistic goal for me.

We actually got the audio book from the library and listened to it, rather than reading it so that might also have made a difference. Sometimes the reader enhances the book, and sometimes the reader distracts.

17. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    True about the movie. We agree about the cheating thing too!

18. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fired a guy for that kind of stuff...... If his wife can't trust him, why should I?
    Like the OP, I understand life happens; if your life changes and you want to be in that game, get a divorce.
    And I know if females who do the same kind of things. I have nevver understood it, but then again, I don't have or need to understand this.

19. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your post made me smile. It reminded me of the first time I met you. We ended up having breakfast together in a hotel (I think it was in Florida), very early in the morning, before I had even put on my make-up. As I recall we talked about our kids and spouses, just like regular, down-to-earth, happily married people should. :)

lisamcgu, IDGflygirl and Jim like this.
  20. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember, I had not put on my make up either. [​IMG]

21. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw the movie a while ago and I don't really remember any names, but I don't remember being shocked at the revelation she was married. For a movie that created high expectations in the FF crowd, I was more disappointed with other things: the restriction to domestic flying, the seminars that didn't convince me, the subtle message that there was something missing from Ryan's life. I would be happier to see a movie where someone flies excessively for work, but then enjoys an impressive vacation at an exotic location with their family / SO.

I never read the book. Besides the silly 1m number, were there any other disappointments?

lisamcgu likes this.
  22. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    No actor can form a better facial expression of bleakness than George Clooney. I thought the closing scene of Michael Clayton as he rode and rode in that taxi was amazing. Up In The Air was so-so. I wanted to like it more than I did. I think it's difficult to enjoy movies about something you know something about (I'm referring to the frequent flying - not the cheating!).

The good news is that the "real" up-in-the-air guy seems to be enjoying life a lot more than Clooney's character. [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  23. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still haven't seen the movie yet (and never read the book), but I guess hearing so much about the depressing nature of the film has curbed my enthusiasm for viewing it. Agree with the sentiment that marriage vows are deeply meaningful and they have a great purpose - we're more likely to remain loyal and successfully navigate through difficult times if we have made such a definitive and very public commitment to do so.

lisamcgu likes this.
  24. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked the movie, but didn’t read or listen to the book, and really didn’t think too much of the sleeping around, guess that one just passed straight over my head as a detractor. Might not say a lot about my values :oops:

lisamcgu likes this.
  25. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I enjoyed certain aspects of the movie (Iike the elite card throwdown), but the whole affair made the movie rather depressing for me.

lisamcgu likes this.