Unusual DL.com price matrix

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never seen one like this. Pricing ORD-HEL for late August, set it to show flexible dates- three days before, three days after. Every single option came out with the exact same lowest price.

DL-ord-hel-price.jpg

BeachMiles, sobore and Pharaoh like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How boring!:D

BeachMiles likes this.
  3. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now if the above were for award seats the "fun" thing would be that when you click on any of them - the price would change each time - on each day - again and again and again!:oops:

Pharaoh, rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even better trick: a chart with NO lowest pricing box.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or a chart with all "lowest price" boxes, and each one showing $8229.00 fares.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel on the date I want to travel, rarely changing due to price variability (except in extreme cases). I view this matrix as a positive, in that you're free to book your travel for any day you want at the set price. Not such a bad price for that routing, either.

Now, if you have the flexibility to move your dates around to save a few bucks, I can see how this chart would be extremely frustrating.

BeachMiles and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree, I've just never seen it before. Usually Revenue Management is playing such complex pricing games that the matrix jumps all over the place.(I'm used to things like $1700 one day, $800 if you return a day later, etc.)

I wonder if they are changing their philosophy and creating some price stability (we can dream, can't we?). Just for fun, I just punched in ORD-CDG, ORD-NRT and ORD-LHR for various July/August dates and generally the matrices fell very tight range where price wouldn't be a significant factor.

NYBanker and BeachMiles like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The matrix works pretty well for city pairs with only one routing and only a single flight per day, but for most choice situations, I want to compare flying at different times and if I must connect, different routings. I very rarely will book an unnecessary connection, but when I have some flexibility I will consider slightly different travel dates. Long ago my employer started to be willing and even encourage (but not force) Saturday stayovers and similar when they save money after the anticipated additional food and lodging expense is taken into account. Normally if there isn't a huge difference in price, I just book the flights that I think are best in terms of schedule, etc. I won't fly eleven hours with three connections to save a few hundred dollars when there are nice nonstops available and I certainly won't use multicarrier routings to save money--that's asking for trouble, even if sites like expedia show these as cheap options.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestically it was called "Simplifares." DL tried this in CVG (2004), then rolled it out nationwide (2005).

(emphasis is mine)

Highest one-way fare for a domestic (probably contiguous 48-states, but don't recall for sure) first class flight was $599, Y was capped at $499.

Marketing clearly won out over revenue management in the short term, but rev mgmt has a funny habit of winning (at all carriers, perhaps ex - WN) over time. This lasted less than 18 months.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Time is the most valuable thing we have. Most people don't think like this when viewing the Orbitz matrix.

I value time at $1,000 an hour for matters like this. If I can save that much per hour of incremental inconvenience, I'll nearly always do it.

An example, sometimes flying to Sydney on CX via HKG is $5k less in J than QF (similar savings on JL via NRT can be had), so I'll hit the CX or JL price. I won't, however, fly TN, regardless of the price differential (which can be $10k some times).

11. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    The above arguments are why Hipmunk (.com) is becoming popular. Especially with its sortability by agony.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that we don't all agree on the definition of agony. For example, access to a good lounge makes a longer connection acceptable and most of us have our favorite airports as well as airlines.

traveller99 likes this.
  13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but Hipmunk presents their definition and, as with any criterion, if it's helpful to you...