Unused Travel Funds after Jan 28th, 2011 clarification

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by ChgoBob, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChgoBob
    Original Member

ChgoBob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to claify the new rule: "# Effective January 28,2011, unused travel funds may only be applied toward the purchase of future travel for the individual named on the ticket."

I had to cancel a flight previous to the cutoff date of Jan 28 for the use of funds. Purchase and cancellation of the flight was previous to Jan 28. The flight was Jan 30 and Feb 5th.

Does the purchase and cancellation date "grandfather" the credit, so I can use it for my wife, or children, or can I only use the credit for me? Any idea?

I already got 2 different answers by phone, and I'm waiting for an email reply.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    Comment from SWABrian on FT:

"some of you may have noticed a change in the language about this on your receipts and at southwest.com. We know some of our Customers had voiced their displeasure over the elimination of the transferability waiver we had been offering; however, we feel complying with our longstanding Contract of Carriage procedures is important. There is a delay in implementing the software upgrades to prevent transferability,due to reprioritizing our Technology needs. No date has been set for implementation."

So it looks like your OK for the time being and this won't be an issue. However, I believe the understanding was that after the implementation date the new rule will apply to all TTF and there will be no grandfathering.

ChgoBob and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    polar_bear is correct, the non-transferability was put off indefinitely, but if/when it's implemented again, there's no grandfathering, funds will not be transferable. :)

ChgoBob likes this.
  4. ChgoBob
    Original Member

ChgoBob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received my reply from SouthWest, and it confirms what was said above. I got a live phone call at 7PM on a Sunday night, and was told to reticket soon, if I could, before the change did take effect. The agent did not know when the change would take place.

I have to admit that I'm QUITE IMPRESSED at receiving a phone call and the help, and not being a frequent customer.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. The other shoe finally dropped on April 29. TTFs are now locked in the original pax name and cannot be transferred. :(