Unused Return Ticket

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by timfrost, Nov 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    On our recent trip to Japan, my boyfriend Rob was completely miserable with a migraine headache on the trip out, but he managed to survive the 12'30" flight SAN-NRT in Economy. Looking to avoid a similar occurrence in the future (he is prone to motion and altitude sickness) I called and was able to find J award availability on JAL - NRT-YVR-LAX, and booked it for both of us. I canceled my original return leg (HND-SFO-LAX) and they informed me at the time I canceled I had something like a $560 credit after the change fees.

I called today about using the credit for a different ticket and they said it was a ticket change and thusly would ONLY be valid for HND/NRT to LAX, and I could only use the value of these two tickets for that.

This is a new one for me - I knew I would incur the change fee canceling the tickets, but I had no idea that it would only be valid for those city pairs. (Not that it would ultimately matter, he actually enjoyed the flight in Business, which is the first time in a long time he has enjoyed flying... so it was worth it. Meanwhile, I had food poisoning the day before and spent my first-ever international J flight recovering from that - only able to eat bread and drink water... sigh!) So, anyone have any experience with something like this? I enjoyed Tokyo but I'm not sure I want to go back this year to chase the remaining $280 per person left on those tickets. I'm sure if they are being this restrictive I can't name change the tickets and use them for someone else, either.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never heard of a city pair restriction on a credit. I'd HUCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timfrost, Pizzaman and zpaul like this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I've received a voucher last time, there was verbiage that it could only be applied to the same origin, but the destination was open. I was surprised but didn't really take much more notice or care since I normally originate in the same place. I agree with brodyf, HUCA.

timfrost likes this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, to be fair if they are going to make me use the same origin (TYO) it is almost as useless, but I will try again later today. :) Thanks!

zpaul likes this.