Unscheduled Diverted Flight = 15k bonus miles. On par compensation?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by OceanTrotter3, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I was scheduled to fly from DTW to PVG on DL 583 yesterday morning. Midway through the flight, a passenger started throwing a fit. He was yelling, and later required medical assistance.

With about 7 hours to our destination (on a 15 hr
    flight), the captain & Delta decided to divert back to Anchorage for the night, extending our trip by almost 30 hrs. Still in Anchorage at the moment.

Later that evening I received an email that offered a 15,000 bonus mile as a goodwill gesture.

I just wanted to find out if this is a standard compensation?

Thanks,
    Kai

Attached Files:

WilliamQ, alohastephen, gregm and 2 others like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they buy you food and lodging in Anchorage? If so, the 15k seems good to me. Whether it is comparable or not is another matter.
    Since the airline did the right thing and will suffer significant costs for doing so I see 15k miles as reasonable.

WilliamQ, gregm, pointshogger and 3 others like this.
  3. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes they did, 2 meals and a night of accommodation.

Sounds good. It's the first time this has happened to me (diverting), so I was unsure how it's being handled. :)

4. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that is a very generous offer. I would take that any day. Kudos to Delta!

That softens the blow on the recent devaluations and probably keep a few customers happy.

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    15,000 miles is a standard for Delta. I've received it numerous times for various situations. Usually it's the amount given for high status SM members, but I can see where it is appropriate for anyone who went through what you did.

6. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Right, given that it's not really Delta's fault, and they were just following protocol.

They had to provide food & accommodation for perhaps 200+ people, it feels bad to ask for anything more.

I called to clarify how the miles will be earned, and was told it will be what I have travelled on (so including the diversion). She thought I wanted to ask for an eCert, which I declined, it will just be too greedy.

Going to fly out on a weird code DL 9930. Wish me luck! :)

WilliamQ, gregm and 8MiHi like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand, I guess, why you asked. But I wonder if it was your relative(or you) that needed medical attention and it cost the airline tens of thousands of dollars to do a diversion for your benefit if you'd be asking if the bill they sent you for the cost was fair?

Yes, I'd be upset and frustrated if I was in your situation, but I have to applaud the airline(s) that put a customers life/well being ahead of what it costs them to meet the need.

WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you able to get your luggage? Not being able to do may be a basis for a complaint.

DTWBOB

9. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Data point:
    My flight from HNL-FUK was cancelled earlier this week for mechanical problems. The next flight was 24 hours later so they put us in a hotel, provided $30 in meal vouchers, and offered 15k points.

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would prefer not to, but for situations like these where a delayed flight results in an overnight hotel stay, what type of accommodations are usually provided?
    Is it a hotel voucher that you take to any airport hotels or it is to a specific hotel?
    I am also wondering if you get stay credits for such a stay if you happen to be part of the hotel's loyalty program?

alohastephen and gregm like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first experience was with DL and a missed connection at DFW. A 'regular' room at the airport Westin was provided and I was given a paper voucher. I never even thought to ask about credits for the night's stay. My second experience was with AF and a missed connection at JFK. There were many pax affected and the off-site hotel was notified of everyones arrival before we even left the airport. That night was an ordeal and I forgot to ask about credit that time!

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    It wasn't my relative or I, but I can understand where you are coming from. It was a huge cost for a relatively small incident at the end. I believe the gentleman's health concerns were triggered by a little too much alcohol. But I guess Delta couldn't take the risk. There were all sorts of medical requests being made throughout the 45 minute timespan. Ranging from medical personnel, to seizure injections, to diabetic injections, and some other pills. The captain announced the diversion on the PA system, mentioning that it was a decision made by the corporate office in the States.

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  13. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    No, our luggage was held for the night. But I didn't have any luggage, so it didn't really affect me too much. Although there were confusions with duty free products containing more than 3oz of liquid that was bought on the plane for some passengers.

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  14. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    The hotel was Hilton Anchorage. We didn't have to do too much other than presenting our passport to the front desk to get a room.

I did ask if I could tag along my HHonors #, but was told that since Delta was footing the bill, I can't. He did offer a 'better' room (view from room: http://cl.ly/image/3O1b132w0A2h), and a bottle of water.

In terms of food, the dinner was a buffet that was quite well prepared (http://cl.ly/image/3o3b1K3m2u3C). And for breakfast, although they did prepare a conference hall to serve the Delta passengers, some were not aware of that and overflow into the first floor cafe that apparently had better food (and cost $19 a pop). The waiters/waitresses initially wanted to charge them, but the charge was later waived by the manager, opting for just information on room #.

8MiHi, WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  15. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my situation, all passengers were sent (via taxi) to the Ala Moana Hotel. They gave us the $30 meal vouchers there which barely covered one of three meals that it was supposedly meant for.

WilliamQ likes this.
  16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pity on the no points / stay but I guess Hilton must have gave special rates to Delta that could not justify further "benefits". At least they recognised your status and offered a 'better' room. Kudos to the manager for waiving off the breakfast charges for the lost 'Deltians' too.

8MiHi likes this.
  17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I guess most airlines have standing agreements with hotels for their passengers that is paid directly by the airline but no points and stay credits. This is also likely (my guess) the same hotel for their own crew. If meal is provided, great, else be prepared to pay extra as the voucher will unlikely be enough to cover the actual meals?

alohastephen likes this.
  18. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You were sorta lucky -- that hotel is near the Alaska RR station and in cruise ship season would have been packed -- also I wonder what would have happened if people just had signed the meals to their rooms.

DTWBOB

19. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, crew were at the same hotel.
    Meal voucher barely covered one meal (out of the 3 that it was supposed to cover).

20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's Anchorage, Alaska where everything is pretty damn expensive.

That having been said ... I love the town. :)

8MiHi likes this.
  21. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, I was surprise how much things cost. I met up with a few passengers to try the 'authentic' Alaska King Crab, and it was a hefty check.

22. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes it's worth the extra spend to have something as fresh as possible. Yumm. (As I head to the local Red Lobster.....yuck)

Flyer1976 likes this.