Unruly Air Canada passenger charged after flight diverted to Winnipeg

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Oct 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winnipeg has the goods :)

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Wed Oct 26 2011
    WINNIPEG—Police say a passenger who somehow managed to get on board an Air Canada plane with a bottle of booze and a lighter caused a disturbance that diverted the flight.

A man who boarded the aircraft in Edmonton on Tuesday afternoon was loud and belligerent and refused directions from the crew to quiet down, police said Wednesday.

It was then that crew members noticed he had a bottle of hard liquor, believed to be vodka.

“They observed that he was in possession of some alcohol. They made attempts to retrieve that,” Const. Jason Michalyshen said.

“Things just quite simply escalated to the point where he tried to light a cigarette. A crew member tried to take that lighter or cigarette away. I think the male grabbed onto the crew member’s wrist or arm, not causing any serious injuries, but things quite simply were escalating.”

The plane, which was on its way to Toronto, turned around and landed in Winnipeg, where city police arrested the suspect.

Source: Toronto star

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

YULtide likes this.
  2. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ummm...somehow? Lighters are allowed through security so I suspect I know exactly how he got on the flight with that. YEG has a liquor store (non-duty free) in the departures lounge area used by AC. I suspect I know how he got onboard with a bottle of hooch too.

Can I get my Milepoint Sherlock Holmes badge now please.....

To be serious for a moment....I've been flying the red-eye out of YEG every week for 2 years now. There's always a group of oil patch workers heading home to the maritimes on these flights. I'm not sure how long their layover is in YEG, but they're usually in the MLL and half (or more) in the bag by the time boarding starts. It kind of surprises me that this hasn't happened more often.

ACMM likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your badge has been cleverly placed in the lounge. Use your skills to locate it :)

YULtide likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Re: he oil patch bunch. Do the gate agents or flight attendants pay attention during boarding ?

YULtide likes this.
  5. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not especially. I've certainly never seen anyone turned away. I'm not saying that these guys are falling over drunk, but you can tell that their vision is starting to get a bit fuzzy. Conversations are much louder in the boarding area, words are slurred.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they're on board in this state...heck I managed to empty all the F champers (noboday else drinking) and get into the J stuff on one of my TG flgihts this year. You only have to spend one night on Whyte Ave in YEG to see what booze can do to some of the oil patch crowd. Luckily most of the maritime commuters are older and calmer...but it only takes one.

6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's always Winnipeg, isn't it?

At least we know now why Winnipeg is unsafe for flight crews. :D

2MM_Guy and LETTERBOY like this.