Unofficial Stockholm Tour - Sunday afternoon 2-5pm

Discussion in 'SMD6 (Star MegaDO #6)' started by w0r1dtrave1er, Apr 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. w0r1dtrave1er

w0r1dtrave1er Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Star MegaDO 6ers

My name is Sean and this will be my first Star MegaDO. I live in Stockholm with my wife and son. I can speak Swedish and English is my native tongue.

Welcome to my hometown! I can lead a tour on Sunday afternoon, starting at the Central Train station.

Posting this new thread to gauge interest and hear suggestions on what you want to see.

Pat+, theBOAT, alanro and 3 others like this.
  2. PhilGarnatz

PhilGarnatz Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I will be arriving Saturday around noon, and doing a bit of jet-lag recovery. A tourist overview of Stockholm on Sunday sounds like a great idea.

3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still working on my flights to get something better, but if I'm there, I am interested!

Thanks for the offer.

theBOAT

4. lori

lori Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sounds fantastic, Sean! I'm arriving on Friday evening because I want a chance to explore the city before the official excursions start on Monday. I can't pass up a chance to see Stockholm from the perspective of someone who actually lives there. Thanks so much for offering to do this. Please count me in!

Edit: As others have mentioned, an earlier tour would be better for those of us going to the group dinner.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be awesome! Still optimizing my flights though. If I get there on time, count me in!

6. flyerjon

flyerjon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great offer, thank you, Sean. I hope to join you. My last visit to Stockholm was a business trip over thirty years ago. I think I had two hours to walk around Gamle Stan which I would do again.

7. brfong

brfong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sean, arriving Sunday morning and would love to join you for a tour. This will be my first visit, so I am open to anything.

8. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be interested if the tour were earlier - say Noon - 3pm. I am heading out to the airport afterwards for the group dinner.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  9. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also be interested in an earlier tour. I'm currently scheduled to arrive in Stockholm at 2:00 Sunday afternoon, but am trying to change to a flight that arrives at 10:30 Sunday morning. I am also going to the airport in the evening for the group dinner. Thanks so much!

ETA: And I would love to see the Vasa.

10. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll already arrive on Saturday as well and might be interested in a tour!

12. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I land around 11:15am and assuming I can drop off my stuff at the hotel, I would love to join folks for a tour.

I'm also going to assume that there are lots of us who will be in town who didn't get a ticket to the welcome dinner - anyone thinking of an informal group dinner Sunday night?

13. w0r1dtrave1er

Status Points:
    Thank you for the messages. I agree that earlier is better.

I do not plan to visit the Vasa Museum, I have been there many times and I highly recommend it.

How about noon to 3pm?

Cochiti likes this.
  14. canadiancow

canadiancow Active Member

Status Points:
    If LH opens up some F for me, I'll be in. Otherwise I'm arriving too late.

15. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will join you if I can standby on an earlier SK flight from LHR. Otherwise, I will also arrive too late.

16. AASweets

AASweets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am also interesting in joining the tour. I arrive at 11:15 AM (same flight as asya999?) and hope to be at the welcome dinner, so I would love to tour Stockholm in between.

asya999 likes this.
  17. lori

lori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic! That works for me. Have you selected a meeting point at the train station?

18. w0r1dtrave1er

Status Points:
    Within two blocks of Central Station (T-Central) is the Sheraton Hotel. How about we meet there? in the lobby?

Honestly I'm not a daily commuter, I drive to the office, so I don't know T-central that well.

Let's meet at noon in the Sheraton Hotel, I'll be there a few minutes early, and we'll walk out around 12:10

I will be tweeting with the hashtag #SMD6 from @SeanMeeh42

cova likes this.
  19. lori

lori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying at the Sheraton (checking out Sunday morning), so I couldn't have made a better plan myself. See you around noon!

20. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a need/reason to get a T daily pass for local travel for the tour - or is it all walking?

21. w0r1dtrave1er

Status Points:
    I was thinking all-walking. Weather dependent, this is Sthlm after all

22. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll need to drop off my bags so I might not make it to Sheraton at noon. If you are going to be tweeting, how about updating your location every 15-20 minutes, or whenever the next destination is known - I should have internet access, so I will hopefully be able to catch up with you.

Is lunch part of the plan? Some of us won't have had a chance to eat (I doubt that BA food offering on LHR-ARN flight that morning will be enough to hold me over till dinner :) ).

23. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
  24. asya999

asya999 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked how far it is to center of town from ARN - I think 1:30pm will be more like the time that I would be getting there... Noon to 3pm means I'll probably miss the first half :(

I'm doing the group dinner also, but that doesn't start till 7pm! This means that we have all afternoon (literally till 6pm or so) and can still make it back to ARN for dinner...

25. hokiethang

hokiethang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely in for noon - 3pm. I'll be staying at the Sheraton on Sunday night, so i'll just request a 4pm checkout. Also going to the dinner at the airport, so will need to be back in time for that.