Unlocking iPhone for Use in UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wadsassoc, Mar 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wadsassoc

wadsassoc Active Member

Status Points:
    I have an iPhone 3 which is no longer under contract ( formerly with AT&T). How do I have the phone unlocked, allowing me to operate it in the UK with a local UK SIM card for dedicated use when I am abroad?

2. nit407

nit407 Active Member

Status Points:
    If you are still with AT&T and out of contract you could give them a call and request an unlock code or try cellunlocker.net

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really a court case, I think. The Library of Congress decided that it's no longer allowed under the DCMA. Yes, no typo, the Library of Congress.

AT&T would still be allowed to offer unlock codes as they are ones supposedly needing protection by the DCMA.

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had an Iphone 4GS that was over 2 years old and I just needed to call AT&T to get the unlocking process.They said it worked best if the phone was still "active". Worked without any issue.

LIH Prem likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    4GS? Did you find that in a bar in Redwood City, CA? ;)

LIH Prem likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the eligibility requirements for unlocking and AT&T iPhone?

All requests for iPhone unlock must meet general iPhone unlock eligibility requirements before an iPhone can be unlocked.
    AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
    • The person requesting the unlock is:
      • A current AT&T customer, or
      • A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
    • The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
    • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
    • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.
    Additional information about iPhone unlocks

Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.
    Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.
    In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

Requesting an iPhone unlock

To request an iPhone unlock, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
    Requests may take up to 5 to 7 days to complete.

freebird likes this.
  10. wadsassoc

wadsassoc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the excellent advice. I will follow up with AT&T.

11. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, after the iPhone is unlocked, I can use any US and international network with my newly unlocked phone?

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any GSM network.

13. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

14. wadsassoc

wadsassoc Active Member

Status Points:
    I am delighted others could piggyback on my inquiry. :)

15. wadsassoc

wadsassoc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again to those who suggested I simply start with AT&T. Having met their criteria (contract fulfilled, didn't stiff them, etc.) they implemented whatever need to be done on their end. I then did a backup and restore to the original settings which was sans AT&T. Unlocked.
    Next question. Again, I will be in UK and want to purchase a SIM card for both digital use (2 Gb over a two week stay) and cellphone calls to US with nominal charges. Hopefully SIM is good for travel within Europe and unused allotment carries over to next visit 4 - 5 months later.
    What SIM card do I get and can I buy this ahead of time on Amazon or ??

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Orange Just Talk in the UK. Sadly there are no really reasonable Europe wide plans

17. wadsassoc

wadsassoc Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Does it work for data as well as cell calls?

18. nit407

nit407 Active Member

Status Points:
    I bought Lebara mobile. They provide roaming capabilities also...although a bit $$$ as with any roaming. You can buy their SIM at the LHR for £4.99 if you land there or if you go out in the city for free. Check out www.lebara.co.uk. You can order in advance if you have an UK address.

19. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lebara looks interesting, I have seen it occasionally around the UK. Unless I have misunderstood, where they advertise Lebara-> Lebara texts and calls = nil cost, there is an opportunity for people in a family group to stay in touch at nil cost.

I see that nil cost calls are subject to a minimum monthly top up, which I guess is £5 monthly

20. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK - I think this is what you want for roaming
    www.togglemobile.co.uk

Toggle Mobile is a brand new innovative service that reduces roaming charges by up to 90% - Ideal for tourists and business travellers.

21. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Car Phone Warehouse in England is usually pretty quick and efficient for picking up a SIM. For some reason there are way more of their stores than the carrier stores (which are also fine, Orange, or Vodaphone for instance).

22. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    i would like to say there are several ways of unlocking your Iphone 3 .You can call back the service provider and request them for a unlock code ,but you should wait for some time like weeks or even months.You can take it to a near by mobile shop to unlock it but it seems that it is not safe or you can simply use the remote unlock service .The service which is provided by the site Unlock-Zone.com .This is one reliable way to unlock your Iphone without bricking.You can use the service by providing some information about your phone like the country and the network which is currently locked to.
    NOTE:For phones purchased in USA on or after 26 January 2013, please contact your network/service provider and get their permission to unlock your phone before you place an order.

23. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    After unlocking one of my 3G iPhones, I realized that non of the apps I need on my phone are not compatible with IOS 4.2.1. So, basically I'm stuck with apps that came with the phone and it's almost useless. I want my Skype, Yelp, kakaotalk, United, SPG, and Waze apps back!