Unlimited Upgrades when connecting from International

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilCo, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO107, as an example, goes MUC-EWR-IAH. There is a plane change in EWR.

I booked that routing, but could only choose my seat one time for CO 107. There are a few problems with that...
    1) Two different plane types sometimes (in this case, both are marketed as 767-200 so might not be an issue; a little surprised they are flying the 762 on the international segment as Business First is subpar for international, if I recall)
    2) Excludes me from complimentary upgrade on the EWR-IAH segment.

Any workarounds, especially on item 2, from all you geniuses out there?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call in and have the agent split it into two segments, MUC-EWR and EWR-IAH. You may have to pay the extra PFCs and other taxes but you can select seats and EUA/CPU will work correctly.

3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Initially book it as two flight segments is the other option (you can use the multi-city approach).

4. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying again. First agent said couldn't do it, but trying again now. She's having trouble, too.

5. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No luck. She doesn't seem the same class of service when splitting them so it would cost significantly more than jus tthe PFC and taxes. It was going to be $170. I can live with coach for that!

desamo likes this.
  6. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially since the EWR-IAH EUA (or whatever it's called now) it's a crap-shoot, at best, for Platinums/1Ks most days of the week...

theBOAT

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many negative repercussions from having multiple segments on a "direct" (through) flight, both domestic and international.

Upgrades are almost always much harder, as the algorithm seems to require upgrade space to be available on both segments to clear you. If upgrade space opens on only one segment, someone else who is only on that segment will clear. In addition in the event of IRROPs or SDCs it is often better and more flexible to have multiple ticket coupons. I endorse what an earlier poster said - always try to ticket that as a multi-city with two segments even if the same flight number

desamo likes this.