Unlimited uogrades limited to Hawaii... Any exceptions?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by alohadan, Aug 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alohadan

alohadan Member

Status Points:
    I am UA 1K, AA Exec and BA Gold... So a pretty regular flyer...

Am considering spreading out my biz to US for some flight this fall, so i am looking at doing their Trial Preferred for Chairmans.

But my concern is that unlimited complimentary upgrades are not offered to/from Hawaii... And I LIVE in Hawaii so this is a deal breaker for me...

Years ago, DELTA (which also restricts Hawaii upgrades) had an exception to that rule for Hawaii residents, then dropped the exception.

Does anyone know for sure whether US offers an exception to Chairmans members who actually are based in Hawaii?

Obviously no point spending money on an airline when every flight is guaranteed steerage.

Mahalo!

boondr likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA offers EXP's upgrades to Hawaii. They're harder to get since others will pay/miles/SWU for them, but it's possible. I don't know about US, though, which is what you asked about.

I'm interested to see where this goes, though, as my wife would like to move to Hawaii and it's actually something we could consider if things worked out right.

boondr likes this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about US but AS MVP Gold 75k get free upgrades to Hawaii...has to be on AS metal though.

4. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regular MVP gold gets Hawaii upgrades for you and a companion too. Plus both status levels can buy higher coach fares to confirm to forst at time of booking and both levels get free ticket changes - no $200 a ticket like the other airlines. Plus AS flys to more destinations nonstop from HI then AA, DL, or UA.